Outside Sales Representative
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced infrastructure analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. The Company’s more than 16,500 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2017 revenue of $4.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
The Role: Xylem seeks an Outside Sales Representative to be responsible for the overall growth and profitability of his/her sales territory by effectively managing time and sales skills and resources. Utilizing strong technical and product knowledge, the Outside Sales Representative will solve customer fluid handling problems and increase Company business through the development of Godwin Dri-Prime® and Flygt pumping systems, related pumping products, and aftermarket sales and services, particularly as related to the rental of pumps in the construction, industrial and municipal fields.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Plan and organize business strategies to achieve desired growth results.
- Establish new rental and sales accounts through territory management, to include cold calling and personal visits to potential customer sites. Develop a diverse customer base to include traditional and nontraditional accounts and specialty market segments.
- Identify, analyze and assess customers' pumping needs and react appropriately by recommending and designing pumping systems.
- Develop a strong understanding of market conditions and local competitor pricing order to position Xylem as the leading choice.
- Provide technical services and support to customers, including educating them through in-person presentations and equipment demonstrations.
- Expand the sale and rental of pumping products and aftermarket sales and services through establishing and maintaining customer contacts.
- Collaborate with office and support staff to ensure the highest quality of customer service.
- Collaborate with local and other Xylem sales teams, as well as, all branch and corporate departments to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Collaborate with Marketing, Engineering, Growth Center Management, Branch Manager and Sales Team regarding new equipment, equipment availability and rental programs. This will include industry news and trends, products, services, competitors, relevant information about legacy, existing, and emerging technologies, and the latest product-line developments.
- Utilizing the Customer Relationship Management system, generate sales plans, sales reports, bids, proposals and quotes; maintain prompt completion of filing expense reports and call reports.
- Keep up-to-date with and review/analyze lead generators.
- Participate in trade/professional shows and conferences as required.
- Remain conscious and role model a safety-first approach at all time; ensure safety and regulatory compliance at both Xylem offices and on customer sites.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Three years’ experience in related field of pumps or pumping systems within industry or construction industries preferred
- Three years’ experience in related equipment rental preferred
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record
- Ability to use consistent business processes to achieve desired results, including ability to react appropriately and timely to changing business needs.
- Willingness and ability to provide superior customer service at all times.
- General knowledge of mechanical and pumping designs; hydraulics; pneumatics; water flow; diesel, gas and electric motors.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Strong problem-solving and negotiation skills.
- Strong sales acumen and record of achievement.
- Effective interpersonal skills with customers, coworkers and management team
- Strong teamwork and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products and the use of computer applications.
- Ability to meet and continuously maintain authorization to operate a Company vehicle.
- Ability to safely and effectively operate a company vehicle for extended periods of time throughout cities, job sites, major highways and interstates (including tunnels and bridges) and in all weather conditions
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Occasional heavy lifting (50 pounds); job site environment
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Intermittent exposure to job site conditions; e.g., gas fields, petrochemical refineries, mills, mines, construction sites, industrial/power plants, waste water treatment plants, etc.; intermittent exposure to shop noise and fumes.
- Standard office environment free of disagreeable elements.
- Travel as required to fulfill the duties listed above or as required by the Company.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.