Intern - Engineering - Summer 2020
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire an Engineering Intern for our Freedom, PA facility. As a member of the Engineering Team, the Engineering Intern will have the opportunity to work across three leading Xylem brands that are related to the biological, filtration, and disinfection water treatment processes. The successful candidate must have a basic understanding of mechanical engineering, or electrical engineering and/or PLC programming practices and have demonstrated the ability to succeed in a fast paced, fluid environment, while ensuring that project initiatives are met.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Develop project related lists, i.e. Mechanical BOM, Valve List, Instrument List, Motor List, etc.
- Work with, understand, and modify Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs) in AutoCAD
- Assist in the assembly of mechanical equipment submittals
- Prepare RFQs for purchasing and assist with technical equipment evaluations
- Work with Mechanical Designers on drawing changes and revisions
- Perform general system calculations
- Develop Power Single Line Drawings
- Collect, analyze, and categorize project related data
- Write test procedures for I/O, alarm, and SCADA checks
- Write procedures for engineering practices
- Assist in creating new engineered to order product PLC software (RSLogix 5000) and HMI applications (Panelview Plus)
- Update electrical schematics in AutoCAD
- Possess excellent analytical skills and ability to organize and implement tasks
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Currently enrolled in an Mechanical or Electrical Engineering program at an accredited university
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Excel)
- Ability to work in the United States
- Excellent communication skills, ability to work within a team, and take direction from others
- Proficiency with AutoCAD and/or SolidWorks
- Mechanical Engineering – understanding of fluid dynamics
- Electrical Engineering - to program Rockwell Automation PLC’s & HMIs
- Ability to learn quickly, ask questions, and approach tasks with a curious and learning mindset
- Ability to identify and communicate improvement opportunities
Additional Information, if applicable:
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. in an office environment
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend, and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours per week
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.