Equipment Repair & Machinist
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
The Role: The Equipment Repair & Machinist will layout, operate and set-up Tool Room machines to fabricate and repair a variety of jigs, fixtures, and machinery parts, and will perform a variety of maintenance and repair operations on production equipment & machinery. Considerable initiative and ingenuity is needed to locate and diagnose difficulties, disassemble and remove defective parts, perform repairs of an ordinary nature, and reassemble machine or equipment to meet the requirements of proper operational specifications.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Examine and diagnose production machinery defects while machinery is in operation to locate problems and make necessary repairs. Construct, alter, and repair a wide variety of tools, jigs, fixtures, machine attachments, control accessories, etc. from drawings or plans determining radii, width, depth, etc.
- Select materials, plan, layout, and develop methods or procedures on jobs of all types. Perform bench operations such as lapping, filling, fitting, etc. Layout, plan and perform a variety of mechanical, pneumatic and/or hydraulic maintenance repairs on production equipment.
- Set-up and operate all types of Tool Room equipment such as planers, lathes, milling machines, jig borer, grinders, heat treating equipment, surface grinders, etc.
- Repair, fabricate or replace defective parts for production machinery. Reassemble and make necessary adjustments to machine to assure proper operation.
- Maintain and service heating plant, air compressor, air conditioning equipment and other facilities related support equipment when necessary.
- Maintain Tool Room and Maintenance quality, quantity, and safety standards to keep a clean and orderly work area.
- Maintain a record of maintenance work order repairs, part requirements used in repair work activities, production requirements, job starting and stopping times and testing data as required.
- Report unusual circumstances to supervisor.
- Perform additional duties not outlined, but within the scope of the job activities, as directed.
- Work with Engine lathe, milling machines, saws, precision measuring equipment, grinders, basic hand tools, calibration meters and diagnostic test equipment.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- At least 3-5 years of familiarity with a wide variety of machine tools, machines, machine set-ups, and machine repair methods. The ability to demonstrate these skills is required.
- Requires extensive knowledge of machine tools, machines, and machining methods, and the ability to work from complex drawings, sketches, etc.
- Must be able to use a wide variety of precision instruments. Knowledge of machine tool principles and machining methods is a must.
- Required formal education is the equivalent to four years of a formal apprenticeship and/or trades training.
- Work associated with this position is highly diversified and will include installation, maintenance, repair, and alteration of a variety of complicated machines and equipment.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 25 lbs.
- Ability and interest to work other shifts, weekends and overtime if and when necessary.
- Ability to push, pull, squat, lift, climb, bend, use required tools and equipment; and perform all movements associated with maintenance-type work involving manufacturing and equipment repair and machining.
- Daily walking to and from the necessary work area or throughout the manufacturing area is necessary based upon demands of the job.
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Manufacturing plant work environment subject to noises, climate changes, moving equipment and machinery.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.