Part 1 Describe the Position
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in the development of emerging disruptive technology and business solutions. Specifically, this role will be a key contributor to the expansion of Xylem’s current India Technology Center. Reporting to the Manager, Transport – M&C Group at ITC - (Vadodara), this critical role will support Xylem Transport in moving up the technology curve, from component supplier to a systems supplier, providing integrated products and intelligent solution offerings. The desired candidate conducts/participates in embedded software development for research, design, development, testing and utilization of information processing hardware and/or electrical components, mechanisms, materials, circuitry, processes, and as a minor subset, packaging and cabinetry, for processors, storage and/or data communications.
A) List the essential functions and major activities in order of their importance
As a Product Owner within Monitor & Control you will have the technical ownership of one or more product lines, initially with a main focus on controllers for smart pumps and mixers, but potentially anything from monitoring devices, sensors, drives, HMIs, Smartphone apps, connected services and service tools.
The tasks for you and your teams will vary a lot in context – for example product development, sustaining and support – and you will interact with several stakeholders, not only within R&D but also marketing, support, operations, sourcing and suppliers.
Xylem’s digitalization journey and adoption of agile ways of working are exciting and our future will likely present even more focus and expansion in the fields where intelligent solutions, systems, software features and connected services will be the very definition of our offerings.
- Technical product expertise
- Development: Technical requirements, feature descriptions, certification and documentation
- Plan and execute new releases and supportive documentation
- Configuration and change management
- Interaction in manufacturing matters
- Assisting product support and training for commercial teams
- Value engineering
Part 2 Describe the Person
A) Minimum professional and educational background desired (include years of experience)
- 4-Year bachelor’s degree / 4 + 2-Year Master’s degree in Electronics, embedded electronics, mechatronics, Instrumentation or data science.
- 6-10 Years of experience in engineering and technology development
B) Describe the most important skills required of the individual
- Professional experience in a technical Product Owner position or lead role in design, development or execution of engineering project
- Good domain know-how in the area of monitoring & control solutions, motor controls, level sensors, Analog and Digital I/Os, HMIs, and IoT devices
- Manage global suppliers with focus on performance development (commercial, technical, logistics and quality disciplines)
- Ability to collaborate with operations, R&D and other stack holders across the multiple Xylem locations
- Understanding of technical documentation and ability to create, update or maintain the same
- Outstanding communication, presentation and leadership skills
- Good to have knowledge on international standards for electronic devices
- Additional work experience as a Project Manager or Line Manager will be considered as an assets
C) Describe the most important competencies required of the individual
- Adaptive learner- Learns quickly; applies knowledge from one domain to another, asking questions, following procedures but also challenging set ways of doing things when appropriate. Always being curious and availing self of all sources of technical, market, competitor and customer information.
- Innovative Thinking- Creates exciting new products, systems or solutions that solve real-world customer problems and anticipate customer needs by challenging assumptions, thinking 'outside the box', generating new ideas, experimenting and being ready to take on risks, scanning other fields for new ideas, leveraging existing technology and constantly looking for ways to do things better
- Cross-Boundary Collaborator - Collaborates effectively within his/her own team and across the functional, business, geographic, and cultural boundaries, showing a willingness to work with others, share information and insight, and leverage different points of view. Proactively shares perspective and needed information with others in a timely and direct manner, helps others to achieve their goals. Works effectively within matrixed organizations across Xylem and collaborates on solutions that optimally address larger organization as well as local team goals
- Demonstrates sensitivity to interpersonal and cultural differences by adapting his or her own communication and working style appropriately, and acting in a respectful, inclusive way across geographic, cultural, functional, and organizational boundaries.
- Solution Design- Optimizes solutions for the customer based on the specification, balancing multiple variables to produce designs that meet customer needs and translating the customer's spoken and unspoken needs to compelling designs.
- Systems Thinking- Visualizes cause and effect relationships in complex systems, seeing connections between variables, deconstructing complex system problems down to discrete elements, foreseeing challenges before they become issues, understanding the effects of what-if scenarios and actions on products, systems, and customer applications.
- Technical Problem Solving - Solves complex technical problems with precision, differentiating symptom from the root cause, utilizing all available tools, methods and resources and persisting in the face of obstacles.
- Planning & Process Orientation- Demonstrates understanding of the complexity and risks involved in building products and systems and how all components integrate from design through manufacturing, anticipating issues, demonstrating a thorough knowledge of dependencies, and deploying successful mitigation strategies in order to effectively manage project plans, budgets, and schedules. Drives the project with enthusiasm and confidence, remains upbeat in the face of setbacks and keeps the group motivated and aligned to the goal. Encourages productive discussions that lead to innovation while maintaining the needed discipline to keep the project moving forward within the defined scope. Establishes realistic commitments, and influences all parties to meet commitments with frequent, consistent follow-up conversations.
- Leading People & Teams- Effectively communicates the Xylem vision and translates it into actions that advance the vision within one’s own organization, and establishes the appropriate performance standards and measures to achieve it, motivating and energizing others, and aligning goals and resources. Promotes individual & team accomplishments in a timely manner while holding individual members accountable for results. Ensures work is delegated to the lowest appropriate career stages and level and enables teams/groups to make independent decisions by creating the appropriate environment for effective decision making. Selects and promotes the appropriate skills and capabilities aligned to the organizational mission to assemble high-performing teams while ensuring team diversity is maintained and leveraged.
- Inspires accountability- Accepts responsibility for one’s own actions, results, and subsequent learning. Demonstrates drive and a willingness to challenge the status quo. Aligns words with action: follows through on commitments, and openly and proactively communicates when commitments will not be met. Communicates with candor and conviction: takes a point of view, “speaks up” especially when not in agreement. Do not allow passive resistance to taking hold in the organization. Engages in constructive conflict; discusses issues openly and honestly, assuming good intent, seeking a positive resolution while not letting issues fester or linger. Seeks out diverse views to see multiple sides of an issue, reframing problems to better understand issues and bring out different views.
D) Other: Comment on items not included above
- Working Conditions
- Electrical test labs, high voltage potentials.
- Pump controls & test machines and rooms, high voltage potentials, mechanical hazards (moving machinery), high-temperature hazards (hot metal, sparks)
- Occasional travel, both domestic and international
- Stamina and Adaptability
- Capable of working with cross-functional team
- Adaptability to work with different work cultures, time zones.
- Extensive lab testing, moving small equipment, etc.