1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
This is an exciting opportunity to join Xylem’s AWS business and its efforts to provide products and systems for the efficient movement and use of water in homes, commercial buildings, industry, agriculture and irrigation. Xylem employees share a passion for meeting the world’s needs by offering the best water solutions to our customers. Xylem seeks employees with the ingenuity, skill and passion to help solve the world’s water challenges. Specifically, we are seeking a Manager of Engineering.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Xylem AWS seeks to hire a Manager of Engineering for its Cheektowaga, NY facility. The position is responsible for the planning, administration and competent staffing, through and with subordinate supervisors, to insure effective and timely execution of all engineering support functions to manufacturing of Xylem’s AWS Cheektowaga, NY Facility, and for the facilitation of Lean execution in all major functions of the site.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Direct and participate in Engineering Staff activities (ie: purchase of all new equipment and facilities, capital budget reparation and administration, plant layout, supervision of equipment installation, design and testing of product to meet industry requirements)
- Direct the maintenance and development of all time standards, methods, and programming
- Direct the development of tooling, jigs and fixtures
- Direct the Sustaining Engineering group to meet customer requirements in design and manufacture products.
- Coordinate new product release from Engineering to Manufacturing utilizing DFM methodologies
- Coordinate accounts payable invoice approvals for the manufacturing areas
- Select suppliers and subcontractors for a magnitude of projects
- Select equipment and release payments after satisfactory performance of same
- Communicate daily with manufacturing personnel to review projects and product status, and with accounting to review and clarify invoicing problems
- Communicate weekly with Materials group on product and equipment review, and with Engineering to review product modification
- Communicate and manage capital equipment requests, justification and approval
- Communicate semi-annually with Factory Mutual, NYS and OSHA on safety and fire inspections, new installation review and inspection Facilitate continuous improvement Kaizens throughout the location
- Measure results by maintaining continuous improvement progression throughout the site
- Utilize Lean tool expertise (5S, Standard Work, SMED, Material Flow, etc.) and take leadership role in training others prior to kaizen
- Be a lean transformation agent and spokesman for the site Oversee development and maintenance of engineering staff competence.
- Manage Engineering Department operating expense budget.
- Drive engineering development of current 2D system and integrate to a 3D system in ETO product families thus integrating CAD/CAM into the philosophy of engineering and manufacturing engineering.
- Strong DFM background Knowledge of ASME code Empower engineering and manufacturing group to further develop automation and drive design for manufacturing of ETO product families.
- Able to manage large projects keeping them on time and on budget.
- Heat transfer background a plus; 5 year’s experience and knowledge of ASME code required.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- BS degree in Engineering (preferably B.S.M.E.) or related field or 10 to 15 years equivalent experience
- 10+ years’ experience in production management, mechanical and electrical engineering, industrial engineering, and maintenance operation.
- VBSS certified Six Sigma Black Belt or Master Black Belt preferred
- Contract negotiation
- Plant engineering equipment acquisition
- Plant security
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Detailed project management and multi-tasking abilities
- Strong computer skills i.e., Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visual basics, Project planning
- Driving change, process improvement, value-based decision making, collaboration and teamwork, results oriented, prioritization and planning, delegation skills, influence, lead with integrity, effective communication, customer focus, global strategy
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
EOE including disability and veteran