Global Product Manager - Custom Pumps
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Global Product Manager – Custom Pumps who is responsible for managing, developing and driving profitable business growth for Custom Pumps’ portfolio of Xylem. The Custom Pump product line consists of large water pumps that are custom engineered to meet customer requirements, specifications, and industry standards. The current product line includes the following pump types; Vertical Column Pumps, Axially Split Casing Pumps, Dry Pit Pumps, Axial Flow Pumps and Customized Submersible Pumps. The markets served include Power, Municipal Wastewater, Municipal Clean Water, Storm Water/ Flood Control, and Industrial. This role manages its products through the whole lifecycle by gathering and prioritizing product and customer requirements, defining the product roadmap, value proposition and working closely with RD&E to delivering and introducing winning products to the market in close collaboration with the commercial teams. This position is responsible for developing and executing strategies to maximize product line profitability including; managing strategic and market pricing, defining value-engineering priorities, products to be discontinued and working with marketing to promote profitable product lines to suitable applications.
**This position can be based and performed in any location in the United States, except Colorado**
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
Defining the Product Strategy
- Develop product portfolio roadmap covering product positioning and value proposition per product line to serve as input into product development resource allocation, business development and communications
- Manages the execution of the multi-year roadmap for the portfolio including; new product development, value improvements, product introductions, ongoing marketing, product support and service
- Manage the product life cycle (launch to end-of-life) strategy and execution including identifying “sweet spot” applications in municipal, Building/Residential and Industrial markets by ensuring competitiveness of products (costs, features, price)
- Understands and specifies market requirements and market and technology trends for current and future products by conducting product related market research supported by Voice of Customer received through on-going visits to customers and other stakeholders
- Framing the vertical offer, in a collaborative way with key stakeholders, by packaging the product, solutions and services e.g. developing offer per application and framing applicable value proposition per vertical.
- Monitors competition with respect to market performance, product portfolio and product performance
Product development including launches
- Collaborates with Sales, Vertical Marketing, and R&D to drive next generation value propositions by a rigorously understanding of the VOC
- Assign and take ownership of the XPD process from Product Management side by actively drive and participate throughout the tollgate process by developing business case, PAR, product specification etc. with the understating of customer and market needs.
- Develop appealing, and when possible a quantified, value proposition which is validated through market research, voice of the customer, and other data inputs
- Drive and excecute product launches according to the product marketing launch process in close collaboration with the Vertical Marketing, Commercial Teams and Communications. Being responsible for resource allocation, keeping the time line and all preparation to do a proper launch in time e.g. strategic pricing, product availability, training material and plan, information in product selection and configuration programs, communications material etc.
- Develop complete internal communication package e.g. product release notes
- Accountability for the technical performance of the products as defined in the product specifications.
- Manage the entire product life cycle through phase-out and being responsible for keeping its assortment competitive and give ideas for Value Engineering initiatives.
- Ability interact and work with manufacturing specialists and learn competitive manufacturing practices in the market and also work closely with Engineering function on Design for Manufacturability of new product launches
Sales/Orders Performance and Profitability of the Products
- Collaborates with local Sales and Marketing teams to understand rationale behind wins and losses and market trends
- Responsible for S&OP forecast input to Operations. Forecasting, submitting actuals to R&D and following up New Product Vitality Index (NPVI) to ensure targets are being met. If not identify countermeasures, execute and follow up to close any gaps.
- Carefully follow up sales, order and standard margin with the aim to reach targets, if not identify and drive actions to close the gap.
- Provide strategic pricing guidelines across markets. International Price List, as well as specific product/segment-focused efforts.
- Support the regions to drive and implement plans in order to meet targets set up in the operating plan
- Ensure that after-market and service are an integral part of the product’s value proposition
- Ensure that product managers collaborate effectively with Communications support for powerful sales and marketing collateral (new and existing products, application areas, thought leadership content etc.) by contributing to content development
- Responsible for keeping the product related marketing materials updated including the product web sites
- Participates in technical meetings, conferences, workshops, industry days, trade shows and association events
- Active participation in the development of sales tools and ensure its product data is updated
- Self-starter, highly organized, and be able to work well with leadership at all levels in the organization
- Influential skill with the ability to bring others to the way of thinking without force or coercion is important in to grow the business or drive changed behaviors.
- Analytical skill to visualize, articulate, conceptualize or solve both complex and uncomplicated problems by making decisions that are sensible given the available information.
- Uncompromised customer focus and willingness to listen to and understand both internal and external customers
- Polished presentation and interpersonal dialogue skills for collaboration and teamwork
- Possess top level business management, interpersonal and facilitation skills for developing trust
- Humility, result orientation, and value based decision making
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Cross-boundary collaboration
- Inspiring accountability
- Developing capability, leading people & teams
- Strong heavy engineering manufacturing experience or exposure will be a big advantage
- Consultants, Contractor, Plant Manager, End users, Service Workshops, Design Engineers, Director Utilities, Distributors and Developers
- Operations, R&D, Legal, Finance, Strategy, Regional- and Local Product Managers, Communications, Vertical Marketing, Managing Directors, Sales, Technical/Applications Support
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil, Environmental, Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering from an accredited institution, or equivalent. MBA preferred
- A minimum of 10 years previous experience in product management in an industrial equipment environment (specific pump industry experience is preferred) with at least $25M responsibility.
- Demonstrated experience working in an international environment in a matrix organization
- Demonstrate excellent computer, communication, presentation, management and analytical skills. Be able to resolve difficult technical and business issues. Be a self-starter with high motivation to achieve goals.
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork and problem-solving skills in order to effectively work with customers, business partners, staff and management from a variety of skill levels as well as different authority levels.
- Ability to understand technical issues and understand impact on projects, and effectively communicate these issues and impact to direct reports as well as other project stakeholders.
- Flexibility in terms of dealing with changing priorities and dealing with multiple projects simultaneously.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration
- Green Belt Certification
- Fluent in English; multi-lingual capabilities desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong project management skills with proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority
- Be a self-starter with high motivation skills
- 3-5 years of working in or closely with emerging market countries and understanding customer needs in those areas
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- As required to fulfill the duties listed above. Other travel as needed or required by the company
- International and Domestic travel required, up to 50%
- Office: Administrative - computer and telephone usage. Operation of basic office equipment and machinery; such as, fax machines, copiers and printers.
- Occasional exposure to shop and field elements
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.