Electrical & Controls Engineer
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire an Electrical & Controls Engineer who will work within a multi-disciplinary regional team consisting of a Territory Manager, Applications Engineer, Project Engineer, and Project Manager. The E&C Engineer will support the team by assisting the development, technical strategy, and scope of supply for potential, specification driven, projects. Additionally, the E&C Engineer will demonstrate complete ownership of project execution related to both electrical & software design and implementation including: submittal development & approvals, factory acceptance testing, project startup, and field service support.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Review and interpret project electrical schematics and specifications
- Develop scope of supply for electrical control components and prepare bills of material
- Develop electrical control panel designs and write PLC/HMI code
- Read and develops P&ID diagrams
- Perform electrical & controls troubleshooting
- Prepare Xylem Inc. standard electrical drawings utilizing AutoCAD Electrical software.
- Masters Allen Bradley PLC & HMI development and programming in addition to one other brand of PLC/HMI.
- Perform system factory acceptance testing and project startup
- Prepare and complete project submittals and O&M Manuals for review and approval by customer
- Independently develops PLC software and electrical hardware designs
- Interface with procurement to specify and obtain quotations from vendors & attends vendor trainings as required
- Possess an ability to positively influence & manage installing contractors
- Provide advanced customer support & establish team actions to deliver on our commitments
- Support development of aftermarket opportunities and execute aftermarket projects
- Maintain a high degree of understanding of water treatment processes
- Develop and present lessons learned and perform point kaizen to continuously improve
- Identify cost saving design solutions within project work
- Develop process & controls specifications and performs system integration to customer SCADA
- Maintain cUL, NEC, and IEC Compliance as applicable
- Perform training for internal team members as well as customers
- Have excellent communication and extensive contact with customers, consultants, suppliers and colleagues as necessary to ensure project success
- Responds to routine customer inquiries and provides customer basic support.
- Customer facing support for sales service, and aftermarket
- Adheres to Xylem Inc. Standard Operating Procedures
- Provides team support and seeks help as needed
- Develop an in depth knowledge of water treatment & control processes
- Travel to project sites, supplier’s factories, and technical conferences as necessary
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline in addition to at least 5 years of experience in project execution related to industrial automation
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter and work independently
- Read and interpret complex engineering drawings and specifications
- Working knowledge of mechanical fundamentals and processes.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
- Strong background in advanced process control solutions including programming various types of logic controllers such as Allen Bradley, Siemens, Modicon/Schneider Electric, GE, etc.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Working in the office performing design and administrative functions, in the panel shop performing simulation and testing of control systems, and in both water and wastewater treatment plants.
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Travel: ~ 20% domestic and international travel
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.