Business Development Manager
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: PureHM, a division of Xylem, is seeking an ambitious and motivated Business Development Manager to join our team and drive business within our Cathodic Protection (CP) division across North America. The successful candidate will have a well-developed business development capacity, complemented by a strong technical background in the cathodic protection industry, preferably with NACE/AMPP CP designations.
**This position can be based and performed in any location in the United States, except Colorado**
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- This role will be primarily responsible for strategic leadership of PureHM’s cathodic protection growth strategies within the energy and industrial sectors. Continued development of our existing client base, with focus on new growth initiatives and new clientele, particularly within the US regional market.
- PureHM operates a full-service cathodic protection service line, from design/engineering, annual surveys, remote monitoring, construction/remediation projects, data analytics, materials supply, and AC mitigation solutions.
- Ideal location would be within one of our regional cathodic protection office cities, preferably Houston, but Calgary or Edmonton are potential options for the right candidate. Other optional locations will be at energy pipeline hub locations within the US and Canada. Travel will be regular and required to develop clients and relationships.
- Rapidly and assertively build, maintain, and cultivate a pipeline of Cathodic Protection clients and opportunities, guiding each client through every step of the sales cycle.
- Manage client relationships throughout the initial project sales cycle, continue working with the client throughout the project operations stage with the intent to develop long-term working relationships
- Work closely with our CP operations and project management team to collaboratively develop opportunities and contribute to the growth of the division and the team-based performance objectives.
- Execute on tactical and strategic project and program development plans for existing and new clients in order to achieve revenue and opportunity funnel development targets
- Maintain customer sales records, expense plans, budgets and related databases
- Respond to client RFP/RFI/RFQ requests
- Maintain constant awareness of markets, policies, competitor activities and problems, recognize trends that develop, and make appropriate strategic and tactical sales/marketing recommendations
- Work closely with other PureHM divisions and departments such as Project Management and Engineering to ensure company requirements are met or exceeded
- Provide business development and leadership through opportunity identification to grow new business, driving new capabilities and incremental business success
- Provide sales presentations and contribute to technical papers and presentation at industry events as required
- Provide leadership and technical support to team leaders, project managers, and technicians
- Present weekly report of projects and opportunities being pursued to the CP division/operations manager and VP Business Development.
- Assist with invoicing and give the final approval on division job invoices that are under their control.
- Communicate with clients regarding scheduling and upcoming work.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Ability to be independent and operate with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills including interpersonal, written, and spoken
- Must work cohesively and collaboratively with multiple departments/levels and with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Must possess a strong business sense of how to develop, grow, and maintain sales revenues in the Cathodic Protection industry
- Prior sales or management experience is required (technical sales or consulting engineering firms)
- Proven ability to problem-solve and make decisions plus exhibit the ability to think laterally whilst offering creative solutions
- Proficient in multi‐tasking and prioritizing projects
- Flexible and able to manage change
- Proactive with a high level of attention to detail
- Technical degree or diploma in Engineering or Environmental Services is a plus
- 5+ years’ experience in Cathodic Protection industry
- Minimum NACE CP2
- Valid and unrestricted driver’s license with a reasonable driving record
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Able to travel up to 35%
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.