Intern - Product Management - Summer 2020
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
The Role: The intern will be responsible for Market Research in the Food Service, General Industrial and Recreational Marine markets. Their role will be to identify trends, emerging technologies and market opportunities to incorporate into the strategic plan for the Specialty Flow Control Market.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- The candidate will work with the Director of Marketing & Strategy and the Specialty Flow Control Team to flesh out the Strategic Plan. This will involve research, interviews with customers, channel partners and the sales team.
- Excellent research skills – ability to understand where and how to get relevant information for various sources.
- Excellent analytical skills – ability to consolidate and interpret information into a useable and consistent form
- Prioritization and Planning: Successful candidate effectively manages multiple tasks to complete complex projects. They are organized and efficient, and able to define objectives, sequence, timeline, interdependencies and contingencies for projects or initiatives, maximizing time and resources and overcoming obstacles.
- Effective Communication: Successful candidate is able to effectively convey their ideas and messages both formally and informally, in speaking and in writing. They deliver clear, concise, accurate, articulate and persuasive written and oral messages, supply supporting facts as necessary and are adept at tailoring their communication to their audience.
- Visiting trade shows, interacting with customers and channel partners along with our global teams will be part of the role.
The Intern will learn:
- How to conduct detailed research into a product or market
- How to interpret and filter data to create an accurate picture of the market, trend or requirement.
- How to work within a team
- How to develop networks or useful sources and contacts
- How to build a strategic plan
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Attending an accredited University studying toward a Bachelors in Engineering/Business
- Minimum rising junior in standing
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Strong sense of ownership and drive, a self-starter
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and is comfortable with engaging others and asking questions
- Good technical and organizational skills
- The ability to work collaboratively within a team environment
- Strong analytical skills
- Understanding of pumping and water systems with a passion for solving water issues is a plus
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
Contributions you will make to Xylem:
- Assist the Director of Strategy and Marketing developing strategic plan
- Support product development processes and enhance solutions
- Developing regional marketing tactical action plans
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.