Intern - Environmental Health and Safety - Summer 2023
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire an Environmental, Health and Safety intern to join our North America EHS Organization. This position will assist with the development, implementation and monitoring of Xylem’s EHS policies and procedures and best practices, particularly related to transportation and services for rental and sales of industrial pumps and related equipment at branch offices located across the United States.
Xylem Summer Internships typically last 10-12 weeks and are an opportunity to get hands-on, professional experience while making a lasting contribution to Xylem as an organization. Our internship program is intended to create a pipeline of talented undergraduate students who are interested in a career in the water innovation technology industry. Interns are our primary talent pool for all full-time early career positions and rotational programs. The Summer Internship is a great opportunity to learn more about Xylem and see if a career in water technology is right for you.
The hourly rate for an intern is dependent on a variety of factors including major, year in school and geographic location. The average hourly rate for an intern is between $21.00 - $27.00/hour. Locations of internships will vary based on the specified project and function, and will either be on-site, hybrid or fully remote.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Participate in Xylem corporate audits with EHS team to review site overall fleet compliance.
- Contribute to the review of Xylem Environmental, Health, Safety, Security and Sustainability (EHSSS) policies
- Prepare reports and analyze data relevant to EHS programs and execution
- Additional duties as needed.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Attending an accredited University studying toward a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Mechanical, Industrial Engineering or equivalent.
- Strong computer proficiency and ease working with MS Office
- A strong sense of ownership and drive
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills
- Strong interpersonal communication and time management skills.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend, and move about the facility
- This job supports an office or plant manufacturing environment five days a week. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines, which is company provided.
- While performing some duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to typical field environmental conditions including exposure to extreme cold or hot conditions which may require walking through a construction site (forest, hills, ditches, and rough, rocky terrains).
- Employee will be required to wear PPE and adhere to all safety requirements when in the field.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Must be able to manage multiple projects and complete assignments within small deadlines.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.