Product Manager - Leopold
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a motivated and skilled Global Product Manager for the Leopold brand. The Global Product Manager is responsible for managing, developing and driving profitable business growth for the Leopold product lines with its related accessories. This role manages its products through the whole life cycle by gathering and prioritizing product and customer requirements, defining the product roadmap, value proposition and working closely with R&D to delivering and introducing winning products to the market in close collaboration with the Regional Product Managers, Commercial Teams and Vertical marketing.
Leopold is a dynamic industry leader in providing water and wastewater treatment through application of its media filtration and clarification products. We operate a robust product development process and fill our pipeline with new product advancements while continuing to onboard new disruptive technologies. Our goal is to leverage the Xylem brands to build solutions for the global market, and we want to bring on board a dynamic and experienced individual who wants to drive our growth with a highly skilled and motivated team of treatment experts.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
Defining the product strategy
- Develops the global product roadmap including business case covering product positioning, value proposition per product line, volume and price to serve as input into product development, and marketing
- Manages the execution of the multi-year roadmap for the global product line including; new product development, value improvements, product introductions, phase outs and product training.
- Collaborate effectively with Vertical Marketing team to develop regional- and local launch plans that will empower sales (product launches, application areas, product brand thought leadership). This role is also instrumental in providing content development
- Assigns and take ownership of deliverables in the XPD (Xylem Product Development Process) by actively driving and participating in the tollgate process: by developing the business case, product requirements etc. with the understanding of customer and market needs
- Understands and specifies market requirements, competition, market- and technology trends for current and future products. Conducting product related market research, Voice of Customer, customers visits and close collaboration with local-regional product managers and vertical marketing.
- Develop appealing, and when possible a quantified, value proposition which is validated through market research, voice of the customer, and other data inputs.
- Framing the vertical offer, in a collaborative way with key stakeholders, by packaging the product, solutions and services e.g. developing offer per application and framing applicable value propositions.
- Monitors competition with respect to market performance, product portfolio and product performance.
Sales and Profitability
- Understanding and providing data for the S&OP forecast, ownership of global product sales and margin plan. If targets are not meet execute on the countermeasures
- Follow up sales, orders and standard margin with the aim to reach targets, identify gaps and raise the need for countermeasures to close the gap
- Provide strategic pricing guidelines across markets
Life Cycle Management
- Manage the product life cycle (launch to end-of-life) strategy and execution including identifying “sweet spot” applications in the market verticals by ensuring competitiveness of products (costs, features, price) by developing relevant business cases for decisions making
- Manage the entire product life cycle through phase-out and being responsible for keeping its assortment competitive and give ideas for technology development and Value Engineering initiatives
- Having a broad understanding of the competitors in the industry e.g. offering, pricing, markets. Drive and execute product launches according to the product marketing launch process in close collaboration with the Vertical Marketing, Commercial Teams and Communications. Being responsible for resource allocation, keeping the time line and all preparation to do a proper launch in time e.g. strategic pricing, product availability, training material and plan, information in product selection and configuration programs, communications material etc.
Guardianship & Support
- Product, technology and application content development
- Participates in technical meetings, conferences, workshops, industry days, trade shows and association events
- Accountability for the technical performance of the products as defined in the product specifications
- Ensure the product offering mirror the product brand values
- Thought leadership activities (e.g. white papers) by developing content and/or presenting
- Develop appealing, and when possible a quantified, value proposition which is validated through market research, voice of the customer, and other data inputs
- Collaborates with Communications, Vertical Marketing, and R&D to drive next generation value propositions by a rigorously understanding of the voice of the customer.
Leadership & People/Team Development
- Development of an employee-oriented company culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, key employee retention and development, and high performance.
- Hiring the right team, providing development opportunities
- Develop and execute on robust succession plans
- Role model superior coaching & mentoring capabilities
- Health and safety of the workforce
- Develop a culture customer centric organization and behavior
- Personal ongoing development
- Be a self-starter with high motivation skills
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Cross-boundary collaboration
- Inspiring accountability
- Leveraging data
- Project planning and execution
- Consultants, Contractor, Plant Manager, End users, Service Workshops, Design Engineers, Director Utilities, Distributors and Developers
- Operations, R&D, Legal, Finance, Strategy, Regional- and Local Product Managers, Communications, Vertical Marketing, Managing Directors, Sales, Technical/Applications Support
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil, Environmental, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering from an accredited institution, or equivalent. Professional Engineering certification is preferred or equivalent experience. MBA is preferred.
- Possess fundamental and demonstrated knowledge of the sales process in the wastewater treatment industry or industrial industry and have a minimum of seven (7), preferably at least ten (10) years experience including in the international markets.
- Prior management experience in the field of management/marketing/engineering or a sound mechanical aptitude, knowledge of related equipment for the dewatering area and/or previous exposure to a services-oriented business are highly desirable.
- Demonstrate excellent computer, communication, presentation, management and analytical skills. Be able to resolve difficult technical and business issues. Be a self-starter with high motivation to achieve goals.
- Fluent in English; multi-lingual capabilities desirable
- Process engineering experience in the water/wastewater industry either municipal and/or industrial preferable
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork and problem-solving skills in order to effectively work with customers, business partners, staff and management from a variety of skill levels as well as different authority levels.
- Ability to understand technical issues and understand impact on projects, and effectively communicate these issues and impact to direct reports as well as other project stakeholders.
- Flexibility in terms of dealing with changing priorities and dealing with multiple projects simultaneously.
- Green Belt Certification
- Fluent in English; multi-lingual capabilities desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong project management skills with proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority
- Be a self-starter with high motivation skills
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Misc: Exposure to undesirable field elements at treatment plants or contractors site when travelling
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Travel: International and Domestic travel required, up to 50%
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.