Senior Electronics Engineer
POSITION DATA SPECIFICATION
Senior Engineer – Electronics Hardware Design.
Manager – Electronic Hardware
Part 1 Describe the Position
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in the development of emerging disruptive technology and business solutions. Specifically, this role will be a key contributor to the expansion of Xylem’s current India Technology Center. Reporting to the Manager, Electronic Hardware at ITC - (Bangalore), this critical role will support Xylem Sensus in moving up the technology curve, from component supplier to a systems supplier, providing integrated products and intelligent solution offerings. The desired candidate conducts/participates in hardware development for research, design, development, testing and utilization of information processing hardware and/or electrical components, mechanisms, materials, circuitry, processes, and as a minor subset, packaging and cabinetry, for processors, storage and/or data communications.
A) List the essential functions and major activities in order of their importance.
- Expert in designing analog and digital electronic circuits
- Expert in Analog Signal conditioning, Signal Mapping, OpAMPS, Analog/Digital Filter designs, ADC selection, Gain/Attenuation calculations
- Expert in Digital Hardware designs – 8/16/32 bit micro controller parameters & selection, memory interfacing (serial/parallel),HMI designs (Keypad/LCDs),Communication interfaces – USB,RS232/RS485/Ethernet/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth etc.
- Perform design verification and validation activities to ensure designs meet specifications
- Demonstrated experience with PCB layout and routing software packages such as – Altium designer, Eagle, OrCAD etc.
- Understanding key Hardware requirements from product requirements.
- Analog design involving transistors and op-amps for low voltage applications.
- Experience with DC-DC conversion designs such as buck/boost switchers and LDOs
- Experience with battery operated circuits as related to power conservation design methodologies.
- Experience with small amplitude signals and designing to achieve excellent signal to noise ratios.
- Ability to write and execute a very thorough designer test plan.
- Design, selection, specification, and validation of critical electronic components. Perform Power circuit protection and coordination studies, circuit design, and component selection
- Model, simulate, analyze the sub systems to evaluate product and design concepts
- Performs board design from system level requirements and test including requirements analysis and documentation, circuit design digital electronics Power electronics, Schematic capture, and verification and testing of boards
- Perform technical feasibility study and electronic architecture design and integration
- Participate in FMEA and risk assessment activities
- Providing guidelines for layout/PCB engineers.
- Follows standard R&D guidelines for hardware development, documenting code and testing
- Knowledge of EMC/LVD/GPSD/CE/UL compliance
- Knowledge about FPGA / ASIC is preferred
Part 2 Describe the Person
A) Minimum professional and educational background desired (include years of experience)
- 4-Year bachelor’s degree / 4 + 2-Year Master’s degree in / Electrical / Power Electronics / Industrial Electronics / Electronics & Communication
- 8+ Years of electronics product development domain
- Use of recognized best practice hardware development methodologies and processes
- Bachelor Degree in Electronic/Electrical Engineering or equivalent curricula
- Excellent Communication skills with strong English both written and spoken
B) Describe the most important skills required of the individual
- Experience of simulation and Analysis tools such as (LTSPICE, SPICE, etc.)
- Expert in Analog design, Digital design, Power Supply – SMPS designs, Converters/Inverters, Magnetics, Power Components and Sensing
- Familiarity with Instrumentation and measurement of power converters
- Working knowledge of power electronics and control systems
- Knowledge of requirement management and Application life cycle tool.
- Expert in using the tools like Altium/PADS
- Component selection and Schematic design & Simulation
- Hardware and System testing as per IEC standard
- Data communication using TCP/IP, FTP, UDP..
- Interface using GPIB, RS-232, SPI, I2C, RS-485 Modbus, WiFi, ZigBee, CAN protocols
- Intimately familiar with the use of lab equipment for hardware design and verification – oscilloscope, benchtop DMM, spectrum analyzer, logic analyzer, soldering, etc…
- Some exposure to RF circuitry design and/or verification would be helpful
- Experience in Design For Manufacturability and Design For Test for high volume applications
C) Describe the most important competencies required of the individual
- Adaptive learner- Learns quickly; applying knowledge from one domain to another, asking questions, following procedures but also challenging set ways of doing things when appropriate. Always being curious and availing self of all sources of technical, market, competitor and customer information.
- Innovative Thinking- Creates exciting new products, systems or solutions that solve real-world customer problems and anticipate customer needs by challenging assumptions, thinking 'outside the box', generating new ideas, experimenting and being ready to take on risks, scanning other fields for new ideas, leveraging existing technology and constantly looking for ways to do things better.
- Cross-Boundary Collaborator - Collaborates effectively within his/her own team and across functional, business, geographic, and cultural boundaries, showing a willingness to work with others, share information and insight, and leverage different points of view. Proactively shares perspective and needed information with others in a timely and direct manner, helps others to achieve their goals. Works effectively within matrixed organizations across Xylem and collaborates on solutions that optimally address larger organization as well as local team goals.
Demonstrates sensitivity to interpersonal and cultural differences by adapting his or her own communication and working style appropriately, and acting in a respectful, inclusive way across geographic, cultural, functional, and organizational boundaries.
- Solution Design-Optimizes solutions for the customer based on the specification, balancing multiple variables to produce designs that meet customer needs and translating the customer's spoken and unspoken needs to compelling designs.
- Systems Thinking- Visualizes cause and effect relationships in complex systems, seeing connections between variables, deconstructing complex system problems down to discrete elements, foreseeing challenges before they become issues, understanding the effects of what-if scenarios and actions on products, systems, and customer applications.
- Technical Problem Solving - Solves complex technical problems with precision, differentiating symptom from root cause, utilizing all available tools, methods and resources and persisting in the face of obstacles
- Planning & Process Orientation- Demonstrates understanding of the complexity and risks involved in building products and systems and how all components integrate from design through manufacturing, anticipating issues, demonstrating a thorough knowledge of dependencies, and deploying successful mitigation strategies in order to effectively manage project plans, budgets and schedules. Drives the project with enthusiasm and confidence, remains upbeat in the face of setbacks, and keeps the group motivated and aligned to the goal. Encourages productive discussions that lead to innovation while maintaining needed discipline to keep the project moving forward within the defined scope. Establishes realistic commitments, and influences all parties to meet commitments with frequent, consistent follow-up conversations.
- Inspires accountability- Accepts responsibility for one’s own actions, results, and subsequent learning. Demonstrates drive and a willingness to challenge the status quo. Aligns words with action: follows through on commitments, and openly and proactively communicates when commitments will not be met. Communicates with candor and conviction: takes a point of view, “speaks up” especially when not in agreement. Does not allow passive resistance to take hold in the organization. Engages in constructive conflict; discusses issues openly and honestly, assuming good intent, seeking a positive resolution while not letting issues fester or linger. Seeks out diverse views to see multiple sides of an issue, reframing problems to better understand issues and bring out different views.
D) Other: Comment on items not included above
- Working Conditions
- Electrical test labs, high voltage potentials.
- Occasional travel, both domestic and international
- Capable of working with cross functional team
- Adaptability to work with different work culture, time zones.
Director – India Technology Centre (Bangalore)
Xylem Water Solutions India Private Limited