1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
Sensus, a Xylem brand, helps a wide range of public service providers – from utilities to cities to industrial complexes and campuses – do more with their infrastructure to improve quality of life in their communities. We enable our customers to reach farther through the application of technology and data-driven insights that deliver efficiency and responsiveness. We partner with them to anticipate and respond to evolving business needs with innovation in sensing and communications technologies, data analytics and services. Learn more at sensus.com and follow @SensusGlobal on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
The Role: The Applications Engineering leads and coordinates the health of the FlexNet system and its components. This position provides performance analysis and directs the optimization of the system using standard tools available in the FlexNet system.
The AE also identifies and resolve technical problems, identifies and analyzes systems requirements, and defines project scope, requirements, and deliverables. The AE is a technical expert and performs several hands-on actions in conjunction with the utility to ensure a smooth deployment, technical issues are resolved in a timely manner, and operational success.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Coordinating technical project activities and ensure that all project phases are documented appropriately.
- Providing expert judgment and analysis for the design, development, and implementation of technical products and systems.
- Resolving highly complex technical issues and conduct advanced research.
- Recommending alterations to development and design to improve quality of products and procedures.
- Developing, implementing, and monitoring information systems policies and controls to ensure data accuracy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Reviewing reports of computer and hardware equipment production and maintenance to determine and address problems.
- Aiding in the design and development of hardware equipment and systems and redesign existing systems as needed to fulfill the needs of customer.
- Providing equipment functionality and capability reports to, and act as the technical liaison to, the sales team.
- The AE has the support of the entire operations team for technical issues that require additional guidance.
- Reviewing the system reports for network failures.
- Coordinating and taking action to enhance meter read performance.
- Recommending or performing over-the-air upgrades to meters.
- Recommending meter change-outs to customers to improve performance.
- Maintaining daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance plans.
- Performing preventive maintenance of network components.
- Researching and documenting technical back-end aspects of system acceptance on the customer’s program.
- Managing the technical research, explanation, and closure of head end system-based consolidated work list items, as prioritized by Project Manager.
- Providing the technical head end system details to accurately status head end system Salesforce tickets on a weekly basis.
- Providing technical insight to the customer’s meter shop and IT testers
- Troubleshooting the head end system while test cases are under review.
- Analyzing data being populated within the head end system from the endpoints to troubleshoot complex deployment issues while working collaboratively with a team of SMEs and the customer’s testers.
- Participating in head end system PIN review sessions impacting deployment.
- Scheduling and attending weekly technical meeting.
- Troubleshooting head end system issues and facilitate defect resolution.
- Assisting with RF network troubleshooting as it relates to back-end data analysis.
- Supporting head end system upgrades as required.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Computer Sciences; or 3 to 5 years of equivalent experience is required.
- Experience in design, development, or system engineer role.
- Experience in the utility or telecommunications considered a plus.
- Must have Perl and/or Unix shell scripting.
- Mid-level Unix and Windows administration experience.
- Recent Mid-level SQL experience (MS SQL, Postgres, and Oracle).
- Solid understanding of telecommunications concepts (CPE, backhaul, POTS networking).
- Solid understanding of basic networking concepts (ping, ssh, telnet, ftp, traceroute, etc.).
- Ability to work independently with little direction and also be a team player.
- Self-directed, excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills are a must.
- General background in RF technologies.
- Familiarity with SalesForce.com for customer service considered a plus.
- Willing to travel up to 50% at times
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Travel: 50%
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.