Lead PCB Design Engineer
Goals and Objectives: Several bullet points for setting performance objectives.
List the essential functions and major activities in order of their importance
- Expert in designing the PCBs using Altium Designer software. Knows the in/out of Altium Designer tool and is able to write customized scripts on the same (for ex. BoM generation), rules, library management and vault.
- Extensive experience utilizing a CAD library and library management
- Knowledge of electronic components
- Expert in layout of high speed, low noise and high voltage / high current, multi-layered PCBs
- Experience with designing to meet EMC and safety requirements.
- Expert in high-speed digital, controlled impedance, and switch-mode-power supply and constraint-based PCB layout.
- Ensuring error-free release of gerbers, BOM, and fabrication/assembly drawings.
- Generate and maintain PCB specifications and ensure that PCB design packages include proper notes for fabrication and assembly.
- Work with outside vendors for fabrication and assembly to establish and follow PCB design rules for DFM and DFA.
- Work with engineering personnel to establish design parameters and ensure electronic designs comply with design validation and product specifications
- Understanding key Hardware requirements from product requirements
- Alternate design analysis, POC evaluations and documenting.
- Component selection, detailed design.
- Conversion of Schematics to PCB layout, including component symbol and footprint generation and library management
- Working with mechanical engineers to determine PCB size and other constraints
- Validating design for high reliability and robustness
- Provide documentation to and work with CM’s as they assemble PCB’s
- Participate in design reviews
- Contributing to continual process improvement within the PCB layout function
- Participating in Analysis and suggesting cost reduction project ideas
Part 2. Describe the Person
Minimum professional and educational background desired (include years of experience).
- 4-Year bachelor’s degree in Instrumentation / Electrical / Electronics / Electronics & Communication
- 10+ years of relevant experience in PCB design
- Excellent Communication skills with strong English both written and spoken
Key technical skills and knowledge.
- Experience in PCB Designing, Library Development, Schematic capture using Altium package and able to learn new tool on requirement
- Experience in Digital and Analog design
- Solid understanding of Layout techniques for EMI/EMC, Signal Integrity, crosstalk validation, Layout Designing, DRC Definition, High Speed board designing, PCB stack up finalization
- Must be able to generate complete packages including gerber files, assembly drawings, fabrication data, etc., necessary for external third party PCB manufacturing.
- Knowledge of Thermal calculations.
- Experience of working with design constraints for High Speed digital and analogue routing
- Knowledge of EMC/LVD/GPSD/CE/UL compliance
- Knowledge and experience of BGA placement and routing, with up to 12+ layer PCB designs with Impedance control
- Knowledge of PCB manufacturing processes and of PCB materials
- Understanding of modular design techniques
- Coordinating with the project team and configuration management team for manufacturing releases
- Gerber generation & checking using CAM tool and DRC reports
- Understands Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and PCB fabrication processes
Describe the most important competencies required of the individual
- Adaptive learner- Learns quickly; applying knowledge from one domain to another, asking questions, following procedures but also challenging set ways of doing things when appropriate. Always being curious and availing self of all sources of technical, market, competitor and customer information.
- Innovative Thinking- Creates exciting new products, systems or solutions that solve real-world customer problems and anticipate customer needs by challenging assumptions, thinking 'outside the box', generating new ideas, experimenting and being ready to take on risks, scanning other fields for new ideas, leveraging existing technology and constantly looking for ways to do things better.
- Cross-Boundary Collaborator - Collaborates effectively within his/her own team and across functional, business, geographic, and cultural boundaries, showing a willingness to work with others, share information and insight, and leverage different points of view. Proactively shares perspective and needed information with others in a timely and direct manner, helps others to achieve their goals. Works effectively within matrixed organizations across Xylem and collaborates on solutions that optimally address larger organization as well as local team goals.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to interpersonal and cultural differences by adapting his or her own communication and working style appropriately, and acting in a respectful, inclusive way across geographic, cultural, functional, and organizational boundaries.
- Solution Design- Optimizes solutions for the customer based on the specification, balancing multiple variables to produce designs that meet customer needs and translating the customer's spoken and unspoken needs to compelling designs.
- Systems Thinking- Visualizes cause and effect relationships in complex systems, seeing connections between variables, deconstructing complex system problems down to discrete elements, foreseeing challenges before they become issues, understanding the effects of what-if scenarios and actions on products, systems, and customer applications.
- Technical Problem Solving - Solves complex technical problems with precision, differentiating symptom from root cause, utilizing all available tools, methods and resources and persisting in the face of obstacles
- Planning & Process Orientation- Demonstrates understanding of the complexity and risks involved in building products and systems and how all components integrate from design through manufacturing, anticipating issues, demonstrating a thorough knowledge of dependencies, and deploying successful mitigation strategies in order to effectively manage project plans, budgets and schedules. Drives the project with enthusiasm and confidence, remains upbeat in the face of setbacks, and keeps the group motivated and aligned to the goal. Encourages productive discussions that lead to innovation while maintaining needed discipline to keep the project moving forward within the defined scope. Establishes realistic commitments, and influences all parties to meet commitments with frequent, consistent follow-up conversations.
- Inspires accountability- Accepts responsibility for one’s own actions, results, and subsequent learning. Demonstrates drive and a willingness to challenge the status quo. Aligns words with action: follows through on commitments, and openly and proactively communicates when commitments will not be met. Communicates with candor and conviction: takes a point of view, “speaks up” especially when not in agreement. Does not allow passive resistance to take hold in the organization. Engages in constructive conflict; discusses issues openly and honestly, assuming good intent, seeking a positive resolution while not letting issues fester or linger. Seeks out diverse views to see multiple sides of an issue, reframing problems to better understand issues and bring out different views.
- Person should be ready to travel domestic and international for small or long assignment.