Automation & Digital Services Technician
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The A&D Services Field technologist will execute our Digital & Services scope at the project level under our branch structure. It will focus on installing, programming, troubleshooting, servicing our controllers / monitoring devices, creating SCADA connections, and working with electronic systems across our water utility products and services line card. It will also perform installations and troubleshooting of our cloud-based platforms and our on-premise digital solutions.
This role will perform a wide variety of activities including sales support for technical estimating, scope reviews, and ultimately project execution. On occasion, this role may support Water Utility distributors.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Conduct electrical work and start up services of Water Utility lift stations and other water utility solutions in a Safe Manner.
- Provide hands-on technical support for our control panels by commissioning, configuring, retrofitting, installing, new hardware.
- Read and follow Electrical Schematics in order to assemble and terminate all Inputs/Outputs to comply with the technical Scope of Work.
- Ability to program using industry standard tools for PLC type equipment. Software skills associated with the development and programming of SCADA systems.
- Lead site operators to make sure all the new control philosophy (Automation Logic) is tested and working according with Scope of Work, but also do fine tuning for operation variables our customer need for their particular application.
- Perform utility operator training for large groups of people both on and off the customers site. Utilize multimedia tools and product demonstrations to deliver adequate training to both customers and fellow service staff to enable them to take ownership of their Xylem A&DS products/services. Training might be conducted remotely thru video-conference software platforms.
- Guide the service efforts of all Flygt / Godwin (and other relevant Xylem brands) distributors/representatives/OEM service facilities in the Region in accordance with company policies and procedures. Assist end users with service-related issues.
- Interface with end-users (in some cases with reps and distributors) handling service problems and start-ups either by phone or on-site visit. Assist office personnel with product specifications as required.
- Assure compliance with all established personnel policies and procedures.
- Support the ‘service call center’ process by providing support to our end users.
- Includes education and support related to all communication of Technical and Service bulletins
- Perform other duties as required.
- Strong technical Skills – Telemetry and Software
- Customer service mindset & responsiveness
- Cross-boundary collaboration
- Technical competency
- Problem-solving skills
- Analysis & synthesis
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Sales support as needed to review A&DS estimates
- Developing your peers & their capability
- Deliver quality cost-effective projects
- External: Water Utility Operators, engineers, and contractors
- Internal: Other Automation & Digital Services - related departments, positions, WI growth center, sales teams, operations, etc.
Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
Minimal education & experience, essential skills & abilities and required license/certification to perform this job.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required – equivalent experience combined with Associates degree as an alternative.
- Prefer 2+ years’ experience in industrial controls and automation applications with a working knowledge of electrical control panels, SCADA, VFD’s, PLCs, telemetry, distributed control networks and industry standard communications protocols
- Prefer 2+ years equipment maintenance experience in water and/or wastewater collection or treatment systems
- A basic & working understanding of the National Electrical Code specific to PLC type equipment, Variable speed drives, and motor controls centers amongst others.
- Highly motivated, clear thinking, strong communications skills, and ability to lead and make decisions
- Working knowledge in water/wastewater processes, including pumping and various treatment equipment
- Treatment focus around disinfection (UV, Ozone), aeration, and filtration
- Thorough understanding of systems troubleshooting and the benefits of establishing solid service practices for the operating and fiscal benefit of the company, distribution and the end-user.
- Very strong customer focus and interaction to ensure optimum relationships.
Additional preferences for a specific position.
- Must have proactive ES&H focus in and around company and customer worksites; as well as on travel to and from.
- Strong leadership, supervisory, prioritization and communication skills (written and verbal) are necessary to help define, develop and enforce initiatives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel, Quote for Service and Salesforce
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk and reach with hands and arms.
- Frequently required to communicate orally.
- Ability to use hands and fingers dexterously to operate field equipment.
- Must occasionally lift/ transport up to 50 pounds.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office: Florescent lighting, dust, recycled air, cooling fans, semi-enclosed areas, central heating, seasonal warmer temperatures and office noise
- Shop, Field or Customer location: May work around pipes, valves, electrical equipment and operating machinery, etc, such as commonly found around manufacturing facilities, construction sites and drinking water/wastewater treatment plants.
Standard weekly job hours: 40+ hours
- As required to fulfill the duties listed above (up to 20% overnight travel). Other travel as needed or required by the company.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.