Business Development Manager- Municipal & Public Utilities
Xylem is a leading water technology company committed to "solving water" by creating innovative and smart technology solutions to meet the world's water, wastewater and energy needs. In a world of ever-growing challenges, Xylem delivers innovative water technology solutions throughout the cycle of water. Our technological strength across the life cycle of water is second-to-none. From collection and distribution to reuse and return to nature, our highly efficient water technologies, industrial pumps and application solutions not only use less energy and reduce life-cycle costs, but also promote sustainability.
With a diverse global workforce operating in more than 150 countries around the world, Xylem’s brands have market-leading positions, a winning reputation and a proud heritage built over 100 years in the industry.
To procure business, frameworks, contracts, projects & specification sales on behalf of Xylem Water Solutions Ireland Ltd and increase the Xylem brand profile within the IOI Muni market.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
The position is for a ‘Business Development Manager’ to cover the Municipal sector within the Republic of Ireland and comprises the following activities;
- The position will be responsible for the development of business created within Irish Water, Municipal Contractors (Service & Sales) and Design Consultants (Product Sales), to ensure maximum gain’s in share of market by offering all Xylem products and services which include;
Service Projects, Installs & Refurbishment Works,
Treatment Products & Projects
ICA Telemetry Products & Services,-New Product
offerings such as Pure Technologies Asset Conditioning /
Leakage Detection Services
Sensus Metering & Visenti Software Solutions
- In addition to the above, the position ‘may’ also include for some development of business created outside of Irish Water in the way of developing Infrastructure sales with customers such as Ports, Airports, Road & Rail as well as Contractors and Consultants for both Product Sales and Service Sales as detailed above.
- The incumbent will be tasked within Irish Water by identifying & exploiting new frameworks (i.e. Treatment), existing frameworks/sales, opportunities, new applications (i.e. Pure Technologies/Sensus etc.), and support to ensure that Xylem is further recognised within Irish Water and it’s Contractors/Consultants to enable Xylem Ireland further develop high level relations to procure incremental business by securing new contracts and by outperforming our competition.
- To work in close co-operation with the General Manager Sales and other field sales engineers – Area Sales Managers, product champions i.e. Treatment, ICA, Clean & Waste Water Products in developing the sales growth through Contractors, Engineering design consultants and M&I contacts in line with Xylem Water Solutions Strategy. This to include both product and service sales revenue, with a clear focus on market business development for short, medium and long term projections.
- The requirement will be to work with the local Xylem Sales and service Teams to ensure above market rate growth with Irish Water, the M&E Contract Partners to win both Product Sales and Service Sales whilst ensuring an aligned and channeled approach.
- To develop and maintain the Xylem Framework Agreement performance and key stakeholder relationships within the Irish Water capital delivery arena and work in partnership with these stakeholders to ensure maximum gain in share of market and delivery performance is achieved.
- To develop new framework agreement opportunities that suit the Xylem Product/Service capability by developing new relationships within Irish Water stakeholders by working in partnership with them to ensure Xylem are in a strong position to win and maximise the potential gain in share of market.
- To develop and maintain Account Plans and Call Plans for both Irish Water which will include Contractors, Engineering Design Consultants, asset owners and end user contacts to ensure they are being followed, supported and developed by the business in order to drive growth and sustain the strong relationships already in place, thus bringing them closer to Xylem.
- To proactively develop and maintain key contracts within Irish Water, Contractors and Infrastructure Customers ensuring discounts/rebate schemes are in place where applicable and are up to date. The discounts/rebate schemes will need to be coordinated with the Xylem back office to ensure correct accruals of fees and discounts are applied as appropriate.
- To actively manage the Product Sales Budget, for the Republic of Ireland Region whilst identifying growth areas to enhance set budgets.
- To research and maintain market intelligence, including information on competitors and price levels to assist in day to day decisions and the formulation of strategy and budget planning regarding the allocated markets and products.
- To monitor competitor performance on Frameworks in particular, the Irish Water Pump Framework whilst developing strategic plans for new upcoming frameworks i.e. Treatment, ICA, Service, Metering, Leakage Detection etc.
- Actively drive the geographical region for success and be jointly responsible for M&I Sales and Service results for the Irish Water region, whilst seeking out new opportunities and leads to provide continual and incremental growth.
- Operate an 80/20 weekly working ethos, 80% prospecting new product and service opportunities within IW / Their Specifiers and Municipal Contractors, plus, supporting the sales team on technical sales calls to specifiers and contractors and 20% quote follow-ups, diary management and admin.
- Ensuring customer accounts are managed effectively from a Finance perspective by working closely with Xylem Accounts department to ensure accounts do not become overdue and that measures are in place to monitor customer payments.
- Ability to organise, facilitate and deliver Product/Service Presentations, Lunch & Learns etc. direct to all Customer variants. Ability to organise customer events such as innovation days, site visits, factory visits and other associated customer facing events as part of the annual marketing plan or the strategic customer business plan for the region.
- Any other duties, within your capabilities, as required by Management. i.e. Dispute resolution, troubleshooting customer issues, managing customer complaints, reacting to customer emergency requests.
- Dependent on experience in the specific Municipal market or applications, they may be required to act as a “Reference Point” to the rest of the Municipal Team as a Product/Service/Process Champion.
- Continuous Improvement Mindset.
- Cross-Business Collaboration (i.e. Xylem Service).
- Customer Responsiveness & Intimacy.
- Developing ‘Own Capability’ Mindset (i.e. Training).
- Embracing Ownership & Accountability.
- Ability to Forecast Future Order Intake.
- Leading by example, a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Embracing and Managing Change.
- Market knowledge & Intelligence.
- Sales Acumen & execution.
- Sales Strategy Planning & Business Development.
- Priority Management Mindset.
- External: Collaborate with other sales departments in IOI (Building Services & Industry, PPS & PPM and Service Sales for optimum gain with minimal duplication or unnecessary conflict.
- Internal: Coordinate efforts along-side our internal support functions such as Internal Sales, Internal Tendering, Engineering Department, Service, Finance & Accounts etc.
Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- At least 3 years working in the Municipal Sector or adjacent markets.
- Engineering or Business qualification that will compensate that level of expertise.
- Must have a good understanding of Windows based computer programs, in particular Excel.
- Experience of using a proprietary CRM system (preferable).
- Existing contacts & relationships with relevant Water Company(s), Design Engineers and Key Tier 1 / M&E Contractors (preferable).
- Current or previous membership of relevant industry bodies (e.g. British Water, BPMA) (preferred).
- Full driving license (preferably clean).
- No physical demands are required to carry out the role, sufficient vision is however necessary to drive a car and operate a computer (with glasses if necessary). Requirements to attend Water Company operational sites and Infrastructure sites will be a requirement; therefore certain H&S accreditations such as Confined Space Training etc will be a requirement, although training will be provided, along with refresher training.
- As this role is over 100% field based, the employee will be expected to travel (car and public transport) and work remotely. (The Company will supply necessary equipment (e.g. laptop and mobile phone)).
Standard weekly job hours:
- 08:30-17:30 Monday to Friday are typical hours, however travel to and from locations may well increase the working hours per day.