1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: YSI, a Xylem brand, seeks to hire a Manufacturing Chemist to develop, lead and coordinate the manufacturing processes of YSI’s chemical, reagent and membrane products. To continuously improve existing products and develop new reagents and membranes that support the expansion of the existing product line. To organize and maintain existing calibration processes related to these chemical products. To operate, maintain, and troubleshoot Gas Chromatography equipment, mix/dilute standards, and properly handle Cyanide.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Drives reagent product/process improvement to improve product quality with reductions in delivery cycle time/cost.
- Develops, implements, and maintains manufacturing procedures, routings, and materials (BOMs).
- Troubleshoots manufacturing processes and products, and initiates/implements solutions.
- Conducts failure analysis and initiates corrective actions in response to customer feedbacks.
- Develops new reagents and membranes to support new product development.
- Insures successful introduction of new chemical sensors, membranes and supporting reagents into manufacturing.
- Have knowledge and provide training on proper handling, mixing, storing, and disposing of chemicals.
- Act as a liaison between R&D, QA and marketing teams
- Must be team oriented.
- Must act as a team member for the transition of new chemical sensor, reagent, or chemical process product releases from Design to Manufacturing.
- Must be committed to excellence in all aspects of operational performance.
- Professional image projection to customers, sales partners, and vendors
- Provides day-to-day chemical product support as issues arise.
- Manages certain calibration activities (i.e. conductivity glass cell), participating in these activities as necessary.
- Initiates process change notices and engineering change requests following standard protocol requirements.
- Supports material compatibility issues when necessary throughout the organization (i.e. adhesives, epoxies and their bonding)
- Coordinates pilot and engineering runs on new chemical sensor and reagent products.
- Justifies and completes capital requests for new equipment.
- Documents work/prepares technical reports as required.
- Maintains close working relationship in-house and consulting sensor experts.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelors degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or equivalent with 5+ years experience.
- Experience in analytical chemistry & statistics a plus. Computer skills/applications: Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Must be able to work with chemicals; follow basic protocols, and read and comprehend MSDS datasheet information.
- Must have excellent technical writing skills.
- Knowledge of FDA and medical devices is highly desirable
- Must be willing to work with analytical instruments and processes at the bench level.
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs. from floor to waist level on a regular basis.
- Experience with Sodium Persulfate, Phosphoric Acid, HCL Acid, KHP, and Cyanide a plus.
- Ability to articulate very technical concepts to non-technical team members and ability to mentor others.
- Critical thinking/problem solving skills are required.
- Must have analytical skills to review data/identify trends; determine appropriate actions.
- Must be able to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have a basic understanding of statistics and statistical applications Strong project management skills are required.
- Able to be productive in an unstructured environment Self starter – takes initiative to create and implement plans
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- This position is generally required to work 8:00 to 5:00 Monday through Friday.
- Additional hours may be necessary depending on manufacturing workload, schedule and business requirements. Limited travel (< 5%)
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.