Application Engineering Supervisor
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: The Application Engineering Supervisor is a working supervisor role which both executes direct support as well as oversees the day to day operations of an application engineering team which provides technical expertise for monitoring & controls as well as mechanical equipment. The team performs a diversified range of engineering functions for pre and post sales technical support and implementation of complex projects, applications and solutions.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership, training and direct supervision for Application Engineers
- Regularly partner with sales, product management, operational management and other internal teams to accomplish company objectives
- Perform personnel functions including but not limited to hiring, regular two-way dialogue performance assessments, coaching for talent development, discipline input, etc.
- Responsible for the day-to-day application of organizational policies and procedures.
- May monitor performance of staff members according to established monitoring standards and implement corrective actions to address variances, and communicate results
- Drive or coordinate team special project assignments
- Provide technical support and information on a timely basis covering the range of Xylem product offering to the Sales Channels engineers and Customers. This includes the review of plans and specifications, hydraulic system analysis, design review, product and material selection, etc. to determine suitability for a particular purpose and to determine the proper selection and application of Xylem products to meet customer requirements
- Administer and balance workloads. Develop and monitor the application of operating systems including policies and procedures, operating structure, and information flow. Ensure the volume of work produced meets product/service standards and exceeds quality standards
- Provide direct technical support and information on a timely basis covering the range of Xylem product offerings
- Excel and be the expert in at least one area of the product and/or application engineering field and be responsible for contacts with the internal growth center as well as for the development and education of other AE’s
- Evaluate, develop and implement necessary team processes, documentation and training programs related to improving the customer experience and/or team efficiencies
- Interact with channel partners, regional managers, consultants, contractors, OEM’s and end users on a daily basis through verbal and written communication
- Provide technical documentation, drawings, conceptual designs, technical report writing and design modifications to meet specified requirements.
- Utilize computer software to answer technical questions. Utilize third party software as needed to enhance customer support, such as Microsoft Office, and PowerPoint Provide field engineering support, troubleshooting and re-design as necessary. This may require travel including site visits and customer meetings
- Assist the sales organization to provide bid & specification review and quotations for packaged solutions by supporting and interfacing with the local sales personnel, distribution or corporate purchasing department to provide engineering data and/or drawings for the purposes of procuring certain accessories or custom fabrications to supplement the product sales
- Design, and/or review and comment on ancillary systems, components or accessories required or utilized in various applications to ensure ease, reliability and efficiency of operation. Ancillary systems may include lifting equipment, piping, electrical controls, etc.
- Provide field engineering support, troubleshooting and re-design as necessary. This may require travel including site visits and customer meetings
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
- Maintain product knowledge through training and seminars
- Participate in new initiatives as requested
- Assume other duties and responsibilities as required
- External: Distributors, OEM’s, Consultant Engineers, End Users & Contractor
- Internal: Aftermarket service, customer service, product management, operations, sales & technical support teams
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- This position requires a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering
- 5+ years of experience working in the field of water and/or wastewater treatment industry
- 1-3+ years’ experience in managing a team
- Experience with Engineering tools
- Specific hands-on field experience with rotary mechanical equipment, controls, electrical panels, and/or is a plus
- Legendary customer service skills; an unwavering passion for taking care of the customer
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to recruit, train and motivate personnel to meet business objectives
- Ability to manage people across multiple locations
- Ability to coach; provide and receive feedback; comfortable with two-way dialogue
- Strong collaborative and respectful people leadership and business acumen
- Ability to work with diverse workforce and customer base and in a matrixed organization
- Excellent analytical, influential and reasoning behaviors
- Ability to develop and implement new processes
- Proficient in developing and monitoring metrics, comfortable with quantitative management practices
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Professional Engineering License
- Green Belt Certification.
- Experience with Salesforce.com Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and Select Configure Price Quote (SCPQ)
- Continuous improvement, lean practices, value stream mapping and waste elimination experience
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Light lifting (20-25 pounds), office environment
- Moderate physical demand and exposure to shop and field elements
- Regularly required to stand, reach, bend, squat, push, pull and move about the facility
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Business Office Environment that includes laptop and standard office equipment; work usually performed in an open plan, cubicle work space setting
- Shop/Job Site: Daily Exposure to warehouse/shop. Exposure to undesirable field elements at treatment plants or contractors site
- Travel requirement: As required to fulfill the duties listed above – Up to 20%
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.