Senior Agile Product Owner
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Sensus, a Xylem brand, is seeking highly motivated, experienced and enthusiastic Software Product Owner to guide the agile development of key parts of the AMI / AMR product space. The Software Product Owner will work Product Management to maintain a vision for their solutions and is responsible for communicating and executing on that vision with the engineering team. Working closely with architects, product management, UX and development teams to ensure that business, quality and functional goals are met with each product release, the Product Owner is responsible for translating the product vision into prioritized requirements and running agile ceremonies to deliver desired client and internal outcome with outstanding usability and quality. The Product Owner is a key decision maker, along with the Product Owner Manager and Product Management, on priorities and design decisions, and works to ensure that all stakeholders are aligned at each stage of the development lifecycle.
The ideal candidate is comfortable working with diverse, geographically distributed teams in both large, established organizations and more startup-like environments. You have innate curiosity and deep empathy: by speaking with someone for half an hour, you can understand their core concerns, motivations, and what would be necessary to create value for them. You are passionate about building game-changing software with the experience to back it up and excited to apply your skills in order to revolutionize how one of the earth’s most precious resources is managed and delivered.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Collaborates with product architects, the engineering team and product management teams to translate business requirements into user stories for the development teams to implement, following Agile Scrum based software development, to lead to a successful customer outcome
- Champions, leads and participates in the Agile Scrum ceremonies
- Manages a prioritized backlog of features and stories, and their dependencies, for all releases, and provides transparency on status to all stakeholders.
- Understands iterative development process and realizes the fact that requirements will change with time and how to adapt the changes without breaking cadence of the team.
- Defines software release plan and scope with appropriate leads
- Inspires and motivates the development teams to deliver innovative and exciting solutions with an appropriate sense of urgency
- Acts as an ambassador for the product internally and externally, and as the primary technical contact for queries related to the product
- Works with key stakeholders across the company to ensure successful product releases
- Partner on Continuous Improvement efforts
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- 5+ years of experience working in a Product Owner role working with software requirements and modern software technologies including web, mobile and cloud-based technologies
- Proven track record of managing successful product launches throughout its lifecycle
- Solid experience with Agile software development practices.
- Skilled at directing and motivating software development teams
- Able to work with user groups, conduct surveys, incorporate voice of customer, and gather stakeholder feedback to determine and prioritize appropriate features and stories
- Adept at working with scrum teams to create user stories and define acceptance criteria
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Confident, experienced presenter
- Skilled at working collaboratively and effectively with cross functional teams in a matrix organization
- Kindness and empathy towards customers and colleagues – we deeply value our culture!
Bonus Experience and/or Training:
- Experience with solutions which interface and collect data from sensor networks or embedded hardware / firmware communication
- Knowledge of electric, water and/or gas industries or software solutions aimed at utilities
- Training and/or certification as a professional scrum product owner (PSPO) or as a certified scrum product owner (CSPO)
- Aha! and Jira tool experience
- Familiarity and/or experience with user research (foundational/discovery methodologies, usability studies, persona development, etc.)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Software Engineering/Computer Science, business management or equivalent experience
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Travel: 10-20%
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.