1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire an Application Engineer. This role will provide basic to moderately complex range of technical assistance to insure the proper selection and application of company products and accessories. Responsible for providing technical sales support (both pre and post sale) to obtain sales orders to meet set sales goals.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support and information on a timely basis covering the range of Xylem product offering including pumps, mixers to the Regional Sales Channels engineers and end-users. This includes the review of plans and specifications, hydraulic system analysis, design review, product and material selection, etc. to determine suitability for a particular purpose and to determine the proper selection and application of Xylem products to meet customer requirements.
- Act as project engineer for moderate to large size customer projects to ensure timely completion of all critical milestones.
- Coordinate technical support for large projects with other offices or departments, including preparing Technical Assistance inquiries (TA) and Technical Order Specification (TOS). Work may include preparing proposals, bids, submittals or portions thereof. Communicate with the Customer Service Center to ensure proper order placement and order management. Act as liaison between local sales, and Manufacturing to ensure project requirements and schedules are met.
- Assist with technical seminars for benefit of sales personnel and customers. May provide technical assistance/guidance to newly employed or lesser experienced engineers as required.
- Interact with reps, regional managers, consultants, contractors, and end users on a daily basis through verbal and written communication.
- Provide technical documentation, drawings, conceptual designs and design modifications to meet specified requirements.
- Successfully manage small projects to ensure timely completion of all critical milestones.
- Utilize computer software to answer technical questions (FET, PECU, Crest, FLED, PASS, Xylect, Mids, etc.). Utilize third party software as needed to enhance customer support, such as AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, and PowerPoint.
- Review and comment on ancillary systems, components or accessories required or utilized in various applications to ensure ease, reliability and efficiency of operation. Ancillary systems may include lifting equipment, piping, electrical controls, etc.
- Provide field engineering support, troubleshooting and re-design as necessary. This may require travel including site visits and customer meetings.
- Assist the sales organization to provide quotations by supporting and interfacing with the local sales personnel, distribution or corporate purchasing department to provide engineering data and/or drawings for the purposes of procuring certain accessories or custom fabrications to supplement the product sales.
- Supplement sales files with engineering data, equipment sizing criteria, , and key submittal data in order to support sales opportunities.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- This position requires a Bachelors Degree in Civil, Environmental, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering (or related B.S. degree in engineering/environmental studies)
- 3+ years of experience working in the field of water and/or wastewater treatment industry.
- Specific hands-on field experience with controls, electrical panels, and/or mechanical equipment is a plus
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs and working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Must have good communication skills for written and oral communication.
- Professional Engineering License
- Green Belt Certification.
- Experience with Salesforce.com Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Select Configure Price Quote (SCPQ), and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) tools
- Continuous improvement, lean practices, value stream mapping and waste elimination experience
- Maintain product knowledge through training and seminars.
- Participate in new initiatives as requested
- Assume other duties and responsibilities as required
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Light lifting (20-25 pounds), office environment
- Moderate physical demand and exposure to shop and field elements
- Regularly required to stand, reach, bend, squat, push, pull and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Administrative - computer and telephone usage. Microsoft Office and CRM essential. Operation of basic office equipment and machinery; such as, fax machines, copiers and printers.
- Shop/Job Site: Daily Exposure to warehouse/shop. Exposure to undesirable field elements at treatment plants or contractors site.
- Travel: up to 20%
EOE including disability and veteran