Intern - Firmware Engineer - Summer 2020
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions.
For more information on how Xylem can help you, go to www.xylem.com
The Role: The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Firmware Engineering Intern. As a member of the Water and Gas Firmware team, the person in this role will assist in development of products involving complex RF communications, tooling, electronics, software, and embedded systems. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to succeed in a fast paced, fluid environment, while ensuring that project initiatives are met. If you are excited and passionate to work on state-of-the art technology trends, we want to hear from you!
We want someone who:
- Has experience developing ‘C’ code for micro-controller or DSP-based embedded systems, ideally in resource-limited situations (Power/ROM/RAM/MIPS)
- Has experience writing PC-based programs and/or scripts for testing and data analysis
- Has the desire and ability to learn new tools, languages, and design techniques
- Has a strong sense of project ownership and drive
- Is passionate about embedded systems, firmware, and electronic circuitry
Some of the things we need to see in every candidate:
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering or equivalent
- Hands-on experience with analog and digital electronic/embedded design
- Strong “Customer First” focus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Some hands-on experience with common test equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers and frequency analyzers
- Understanding of analog and digital circuitry
- Ability to collaborate within a team of engineers from different domains in a fast-paced team environment to meet aggressive goals and high quality standards
- Excellent testing and troubleshooting skills, with the ability to support quality assurance and support teams in investigating and analyzing product defects
It would be awesome if you:
- Have some leadership experience (e.g. leader for a group project, officer of an extra-curricular club)
- Have implemented and debugged low-level drivers and communication protocols for hardware serial interfaces (e.g. SPI, I2C, RS232 and RS485)
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Light lifting (20-25 lbs.), office environment
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.