1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: The Applications Engineer will provide technical assistance to ensure the proper selection and application of company products and accessories. Responsible for providing technical sales support (both pre and post sale) to obtain sales orders to meet set sales goals for:
- External sources such as consulting engineers, contractors and end users.
- Distributors & OEM’s
- Internal sales organization, customer service center, project management/engineering, manufacturing and after-sales service.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support and information on a timely basis covering the range of Xylem product offering including pumps, mixers to the Regional Sales Channels engineers and end-users. This includes the review of plans and specifications, hydraulic system analysis, design review, product and material selection, etc. to determine suitability for a particular purpose and to determine the proper selection and application of Xylem products to meet customer requirements.
- Act as project engineer for moderate to large size customer projects to ensure timely completion of all critical milestones.
- Coordinate technical support for large projects with other offices or departments, including preparing Technical Assistance inquiries (TA) and Technical Order Specification (TOS). Work may include preparing proposals, bids, submittals or portions thereof. Communicate with the Customer Service Center to ensure proper order placement and order management. Act as liaison between local sales, and Manufacturing to ensure project requirements and schedules are met.
- Assist with technical seminars for benefit of sales personnel and customers. May provide technical assistance/guidance to newly employed or lesser experienced engineers as required.
- Interact with reps, regional managers, consultants, contractors, and end users on a daily basis through verbal and written communication.
- Provide technical documentation, drawings, conceptual designs and design modifications to meet specified requirements.
- Successfully manage small projects to ensure timely completion of all critical milestones.
- Utilize computer software to answer technical questions (FET, PECU, Crest, FLED, PASS, Xylect, Mids, etc.). Utilize third party software as needed to enhance customer support, such as AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, and PowerPoint.
- Review and comment on ancillary systems, components or accessories required or utilized in various applications to ensure ease, reliability and efficiency of operation. Ancillary systems may include lifting equipment, piping, electrical controls, etc.
- Provide field engineering support, troubleshooting and re-design as necessary. This may require travel including site visits and customer meetings.
- Assist the sales organization to provide quotations by supporting and interfacing with the local sales personnel, distribution or corporate purchasing department to provide engineering data and/or drawings for the purposes of procuring certain accessories or custom fabrications to supplement the product sales.
- Supplement sales files with engineering data, equipment sizing criteria, , and key submittal data in order to support sales opportunities.
- Maintain product knowledge through training and seminars.
- Participate in new initiatives as requested
- Assume other duties and responsibilities as required
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil, Environmental, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering (or related B.S. degree in engineering/environmental studies)
- 3+ years of experience working in the field of water and/or wastewater treatment industry.
- Specific hands-on field experience with controls, electrical panels, and/or mechanical equipment is a plus
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs and working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Must have good communication skills for written and oral communication.
- Professional Engineering License
- Green Belt Certification.
- Experience with Salesforce.com Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Select Configure Price Quote (SCPQ), and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) tools
- Continuous improvement, lean practices, value stream mapping and waste elimination experience
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Administrative - computer and telephone usage. Microsoft Office and CRM essential. Operation of basic office equipment and machinery; such as, fax machines, copiers and printers.
- Shop/Job Site: Daily Exposure to warehouse/shop. Exposure to undesirable field elements at treatment plants or contractors site.
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Travel requirement: As required to fulfill the duties listed above. International & nationwide travel – Up to 20%.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.