Senior Security Architect
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced infrastructure analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. The Company’s more than 16,500 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2017 revenue of $4.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
Sensus, a Xylem brand, helps a wide range of public service providers – from utilities to cities to industrial complexes and campuses – do more with their infrastructure to improve quality of life in their communities. We enable our customers to reach farther through the application of technology and data-driven insights that deliver efficiency and responsiveness. We partner with them to anticipate and respond to evolving business needs with innovation in sensing and communications technologies, data analytics and services. Learn more at sensus.com and follow @SensusGlobal on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
The Role: Sensus, a Xylem brand, seeks to hire a Sr. Security Architect. The Sr. Security Architect is responsible for leading the development and implementation of security architecture across Xylem. This position will work across software and firmware development teams to identify component and system level technical risks, identify and evaluate critical failure points, determine technical security controls to mitigate risks, prioritize and schedule controls with development timelines, and work with cross functional teams to implement features.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Provides architectural guidance and leadership on best practices regarding security in software and firmware development, user interface design frameworks, high performance messaging solutions, server side development, integration, and tools and technologies
- Works with the business, operations and systems team to identify the right architecture for implementing new solutions, products and modules. Develop, implement and maintain product security strategy for the entire product portfolio covering IoT and, Smart-device suites
- Contribute to the development and evolution of the application and infrastructure security reference architecture. Develop, implement and maintain the security architecture for Xylem product portfolio
- Risk analysis, risk management, and communication of results with software/hardware development managers
- Champion the Xylem security SDLC. This includes security testing, penetration testing, and identifying and fixing vulnerabilities in software and applications on all Xylem products.
- Perform vulnerability research, assessment and management , serve as technical security/risk advisor on all new technology/developed by Xylem
- Perform threat modeling, static application security testing, code reviews, and secure design reviews for high risk applications
- Determine testing requirements and strategies, automate security testing using a variety of scripting and open source tools
- Implement or manage the implementation of common application security controls, ensuring that practices meet software certification processes
- Assist developers in remediating vulnerability findings by providing line-by-line guidance
- Provide training and education to developers on software security best practices.
- Ability to present complex security topics to wide range of internal and internal audiences (engineers to executives)
- Assist customer operations with secure deployment of Xylem products
- Expert level operational support for security escalations from customers
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- BSCS or equivalent with 14-years experience
- Demonstrated expertise in product/application security architecture, Service oriented architecture (SOA), Network security, application security, web services
- Deep technical experience in Security/Identity Management including SSO, LDAP, and Provisioning
- Strong Programming knowledge in one or more - Java, C#, C, ARM
- Strong operating systems knowledge Windows (all flavors), Red Hat Linux, Debian Linux
- IoT network technologies (Z-Wave, Zigbee, Bluetooth/BLE, WLAN, identity/auth security)
- Hardware security (PCB, JTAG, UART, SPI, ROM, microcode, custom ASIC/FPGA)
- x86 and/or ARM chipset and firmware security (TPM, UEFI, TrustZone, secure boot)
- Experience with wireless technologies such as CDMA, E-HRPD, GSM, UMTS, TDS-CDMA, LTE-FDD / LTE-TDD, and 5Gexperience with Android RIL, Telephony, C and Embedded RTOS.
- Security audit, Vulnerability assessment and packet analysis skills
- Scripting knowledge Linux scripting (bash), Windows scripting, Python or Perl
- Encryption expertise, HSM (Hardware Security Modules)
- Strong project planning and execution skills
- Preferred: expertise in either Cloud computing security and/or Big data security
- Preferred: forensic analysis skills
- Preferred: software development skills Agile, waterfall
- Preferred: Database knowledge Postgres, SQL, Oracle, Hadoop
- Preferred: experience in cellular protocol stack (Control and/or Data Plane)
- Valuable: Blockchain experience
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Travel: 10% or less
EOE including disability and veteran