Control System Engineer
Control System Engineer
Overview of Xylem
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced infrastructure analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. The Company’s more than 16,500 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2017 revenue of $4.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
Brief Description/Job Summary:
The ideal candidate will provide control system development and validation throughout the product development and project execution. Work closely with global engineers, product and project managers to develop products and to develop test procedures and test cases for final validation. Perform troubleshooting and field commissioning.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Participate in M&C (Monitoring and Controls) product development: preparation of design, specifications, analysis and recommendations for development of new products.
- Provide software development and validation throughout the product development and project execution.
- Work closely with global engineers, product and project managers to develop products and to develop test procedures and test cases for final validation.
- Understand the project requirements and develop roadmaps.
- Estimating task execution time and ensuring on-time delivery of work with quality.
- Perform Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (DFMEA).
- Prepare and get product certifications
- Prepare Design Documents
- Provide support to manufacturing unit.
- Support and resolve product field issues
- Develop testing tools and work with various stakeholders to ensure standard QE processes are implemented and followed at multiple sites across the world. Evaluate, recommend, and institutionalize improvements to integration test processes, work products/services, and results. Provides test support and mentoring to other members outside of the team.
- Keep well informed of new features and products/services. Be proactive in understanding product/service roadmaps and the implications of new features with peer engineers or self-training.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- 4-Year Bachelor’s degree in Instrumentation / Electrical
- At least 4-6 years of professional experience in areas directly related to Application Software development and testing in PLC.
- Experience in the PLC / HMI / SCADA Programming.
- Experience in C programming is preferred.
- Experience in Pump System & Electrical design is additional advantage.
- A high-energy, self-motivated, results oriented individual
- Strong technical, communication, and inter-personal capabilities
- Bias toward speed, strong sense of urgency
- Comfortable with customers and a customer advocate
- Listens and works well in team environment
- Ability to solve complex problems
- Learns new concepts quickly and autonomously
- Ability to manage multiple priorities effectively
- Searches out the best practice with continuous improvement mindset
- Proficient with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other communication tools
- Fluency in English language is must
- An expert in PLC / HMI and SCADA programming, Experience with Allen Bradly, Siemens, B&R and Red Lion PLC is preferred.
- C programming, Structured text and Ladder.
- Knowledge and hands on experience of measuring Instruments.
- Experience in Protocol Implementation (DNP3 / ModBus / MetaSys / ProfiNet / ProfiBus / EtherCAT / OPC UA / BACNET)
- Data communication using TCP/IP, FTP, UDP, data socket, shared & global variable
- Interface using GPIB, RS-232, SPI, I2C, RS-485 Modbus
- Databases, MS SQL Server, MS access
- Knowledge of VFD (Variable Frequency Drives) and Pump Controls
- Experience with Auto-CAD tool and Electrical Design.
- Version control system
- Knowledge of software testing standards
- Electrical test labs, high voltage potentials.
- Pump controls & test machines and rooms, high voltage potentials, mechanical hazards (moving machinery), high temperature hazards (hot metal, sparks)
- Occasional travel, both domestic and international