Electrical & Control Engineer / Sr. Engineer
Electrical & Control Engineer / Sr. Engineer
Overview of Xylem
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced infrastructure analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. The Company’s more than 16,500 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2017 revenue of $4.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
Brief Description/Job Summary:
The ideal candidate will provide electrical & control system development and validation throughout the project execution. Work closely with global engineers, product and project managers for project execution and final validation. Perform troubleshooting and field commissioning.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Participate in E&C (Electrical and Controls) project execution: preparation of design, specifications, analysis and recommendations for development.
- Review and interpret project electrical schematics and specifications
- Select electrical control components and prepare bills of material, following brand standards, as applicable
- Prepare complete electrical design submittal packages for review and approval by customer and consulting engineers
- Select, program and troubleshoot various types of PLC’s (RS Logix 5000 and Siemens TIA Portal) and SCADA systems (InduSoft/Wonderware, AB FactoryTalk)
- Provide software development and validation throughout the project execution.
- Provide direct technical support to external customers, consulting firms and general contractors.
- Design detailed electrical controls systems and develop software to automate WWTPs (Waste Water Treatment Plants) from functional descriptions and PID schematics
- Proficient in AutoCAD Electrical so they can generate, and revise as necessary, design submittal drawings
- Keep abreast of new technologies and advances in monitoring and control products
- Work closely with global engineers, product and project managers to develop products and to develop test procedures and test cases for final validation.
- Understand the project requirements and develop roadmaps.
- Estimating task execution time and ensuring on-time delivery of work with quality.
- Perform Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (DFMEA).
- Prepare Design Documents
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- 4-Year Bachelor’s degree in Instrumentation / Electrical
- At least 3-6 years of professional experience in areas directly related to electrical & controls project engineering, experience with water treatment plant is preferred.
- Experience in the PLC / HMI / SCADA Programming.
- Experience in Pump System & Electrical design.
- A high-energy, self-motivated, results oriented individual
- Strong technical, communication, and inter-personal capabilities
- Bias toward speed, strong sense of urgency
- Comfortable with customers and a customer advocate
- Listens and works well in team environment
- Ability to solve complex problems
- Learns new concepts quickly and autonomously
- Ability to manage multiple priorities effectively
- Searches out the best practice with continuous improvement mindset
- Proficient with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other communication tools
- Fluency in English language is must
- An expert in PLC / HMI and SCADA programming, Experience with Allen Bradly, Siemens.
- C programming, Structured text and Ladder.
- Knowledge and hands on experience of measuring Instruments.
- Experience in Protocol Implementation (DNP3 / ModBus / MetaSys / ProfiNet / ProfiBus / EtherCAT / OPC UA / BACNET)
- Data communication using TCP/IP, FTP, UDP, data socket, shared & global variable
- Interface using GPIB, RS-232, SPI, I2C, RS-485 Modbus
- Databases, MS SQL Server, MS access
- Knowledge of VFD (Variable Frequency Drives) and Pump Controls
- Experience with Auto-CAD tool and Electrical Design.
- Knowledge of software and electrical testing standards
- Electrical test labs, high voltage potentials.
- Pump controls & test machines and rooms, high voltage potentials, mechanical hazards (moving machinery), high temperature hazards (hot metal, sparks)
- Occasional travel, both domestic and international