Director, Global Product Sustainability
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: This enterprise leadership position is the principal architect and leader for Xylem product stewardship. You will partner with Xylem regional business units, global functions, commercial stakeholders and external partners to benchmark, develop and deploy best practices, models and programs across business units to improve product stewardship and embed sustainability in our business processes. In this role, you will also be a catalyst for change; facilitating a greater leverage of sustainability in our products to enhance our value proposition and better enable our customers to further enhance their sustainability contribution.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities
- Work across the enterprise and with external experts to develop and implement a Xylem-wide product life-cycle assessment model; aligning the enterprise to a single model to measure internal (footprint) and external (handprint) environmental impacts of the production, use and disposal of our products across their entire lifespan. This includes collaborating with product development and product management process owners and business functional leads to embed product sustainability into Xylem's product development and product planning processes.
- Lead the development and piloting of a new Product Takeback program. In coordination with supply chain, operations, R&D, commercial teams and other functions, define how Xylem creates or participates in a circular economy; creating new competitively advantaged business models which increase the value proposition of Xylem to our customers and differentiate Xylem from competitors.
- Continuously monitor and assess Xylem’s progress of product sustainability performance including the measurement, tracking and reporting of Xylem's product related sustainability metrics. Also, monitor and assess Xylem's global R&D and engineering investment for the development, commercialization and revenue creation of products contributing to Xylem's sustainability objectives. Collaborate with our operating companies' functions to develop a coordinated sustainability roadmap for product development, engineering and localization of Xylem products.
- Collaborate with peer sustainability functions and other stakeholders frame the roadmap and drive related activities and reporting.
- Partners with the corporate sustainability & CSR team to create and implement communication strategies to publicize the company’s sustainability efforts and promote broad awareness of sustainability initiatives, both internally and externally.
- Attend industry events, conferences, etc., to stay current on product sustainability/stewardship; track industry advancements and identify new business models.
- Establish and maintain key external relationships to expand Xylem’s innovation ecosystem.
- Team with Corporate Social Responsibility and EHS leaders, providing input to the overall Xylem sustainability strategy
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Environment Science/Policy, Chemistry, or similar disciplines; master’s degree preferred.
- 10+ years of global experience working across multiple functions and with multiple stakeholders to drive change is required.
- Passion for sustainability and implementing change; inside and outside the organization.
- Product management, engineering or technical competencies related to product design, new product development, and manufacturing processes.
- Ability to be an internal and external thought leader.
- Action and results oriented, able to communicate strategies and tactics and resolve obstacles.
- Demonstrated organizational agility, influence and leadership ability to effectively drive and execute initiatives within a matrixed environment.
- Excellent writing, presentation, decision making, influencing and negotiation skills.
- Strong listening and influencing skills, as well as intercultural competence.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, Working Parents Networks and Non-Native English Speakers and Allies.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend, and move about the facility
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.