Building Systems Innovation Lead
Building Systems Innovation Lead
R+D for the Built Environment (@XL Construction), Full-Time
Mountain View, CA
Who we are/ What we do:
R+D for the Built Environment (@XL Construction) is the ideas workshop for a large tech company in Mountain View. We are architects, engineers, researchers, designers, inventors, dreamers and builders who are obsessed with meaningfully shaping our environment. We are a community of optimistic, passionate, action-oriented solution-seekers who love to say “yes” and then create the path to deliver on that answer. From the scale of the Desk to the scale of the District, we generate ideas and prototypes that deliver immediate tangible value, and project a resilient, resource efficient, technologically-enriched and beautiful future.
What You Do:
As the Building Systems Innovation Lead, you are a non-traditional engineering thought leader who loves pushing the boundaries on traditional approaches to MEP and IoT. You are driven by innovative solutions, engineering efficiency and bold creative solutions. You are a problem solver with a can do attitude and approach to the seemingly impossible. You are also a collaborative leader, facilitating the relationships necessary to generate the most exciting new solutions. You have the ability to maintain a high level view as well as the ability to get into the details as needed on initiatives to help teams prioritize goals so that they can work most effectively, through weekly meetings and daily communication. You are an adept natural communicator, optimistic and positive. You identify with the success of the team, and dive in to do whatever it takes to create the best work. You thrive in an energetic and optimistic team environment where we deeply respect each other and try to leave each other feeling inspired and energized. You love being in the field, making, building and getting things done.
- Leads on researching, developing, prototyping, piloting and scaling new and innovative Built Environment solutions focusing on MEP and IoT with an ultimate goal of better, faster, cheaper
- Works cross-functionally with architects, MEP engineers, GCs, subs, suppliers and real estate Project Executives of a large tech company in Mountain View
- Checks in regularly with lab leadership; facilitates meetings and workshops
- Evaluates and communicates initiatives clearly to multiple stakeholders across a variety of orgs with and without domain expertise on the work
- Identifies smart engineering and consultant partners, then manage them to successfully complete initiatives
- Has an open and flexible attitude toward developing alternate solutions and methods to enhance or supplant industry norms, and has enough knowledge to understand the impacts of the norms that are broken
- Senior Building Systems professional with a degree in the building systems field (e.g., mechanical, electrical, electronic, telecommunications, architectural engineering)
- Experience in prefabrication, modular and/or off-site construction a benefit
- Equally happy debating MEP means-and-methods with a contractor as discussing IoT integration and data telemetry with a software engineer
- Experience with all phases of architecture + construction, from programming and conceptual design, to construction documents and detailing, as well as construction administration.
- Experience with a range of different project sizes and program types
- Ideally has worked on (or very closely with) the contracting, fabrication, supplier side of the construction ecosystem for 5+ years
- Excellent planning skills, including careful attention to detail for executing and getting work done
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across teams and all organizational levels
- Solution-Seeking and action-oriented creative problem solver
- Working knowledge of building and planning codes, with the ability to foresee regulatory or bureaucratic obstacles to execution
- Relentless curiosity and a passion for questioning the status quo in the built environment
- An obsession with user-centered discovery and design process
This position is full time at the R+D Lab located on the premises of a large tech company in Mountain View, CA, with full-time employment through XL Construction.
Please submit professional credentials, including curriculum vitae and cover letter for our consideration.