Lead MEP Engineer
Lead MEP Engineer
R+D for the Built Environment (@XL Construction), Full-Time
Mountain View, CA
Who we are/ What we do:
R+D for the Built Environment (@XL Construction) is the ideas workshop for a large tech company in Mountain View. We are architects, engineers, researchers, designers, inventors, dreamers and builders who are obsessed with meaningfully shaping our environment. We are a community of optimistic, passionate, action-oriented solution-seekers who love to say “yes” and then create the path to deliver on that answer. From the scale of the Desk to the scale of the District, we generate ideas and prototypes that deliver immediate tangible value, and project a resilient, resource efficient, technologically-enriched and beautiful future.
What You Do:
As the Lead MEP Engineer, you are a non-traditional engineering leader who loves all things prefab and MEP (ideally you’re also curious about smart buildings!). You are driven by a love of innovation, engineering efficiency, and bold creative solutions. You are a problem solver with a can do attitude and approach to the seemingly impossible. You are also a collaborative leader, facilitating the relationships necessary to generate the most exciting new solutions. You have the ability to maintain a high level view as well as the ability to get into the details as needed on initiatives to help teams prioritize goals so that they can work most effectively, through weekly meetings and daily communication. You are an adept natural communicator, optimistic and positive. You identify with the success of the team, and dive in to do whatever it takes to create the best work. You thrive in an energetic and optimistic team environment where we deeply respect each other and try to leave each other feeling inspired and energized. You love being in the field, making, building and getting things done.
- Leads MEP engagement on multiple initiatives with a variety of teams, providing guidance and oversight of both engineering and execution. This includes contributing to designs directly, as well as representing work through narrative and presentation to stakeholder groups.
- Works collaboratively with architects, other engineers, GCs, subs, suppliers and real estate project executives of a large tech company in Mountain View to support projects in the Pilot phase.
- Checks in regularly with lab leadership; facilitates meetings, workshops and other processes necessary for a high quality work product.
- Evaluates and communicates initiative progress to multiple stakeholders with and without domain expertise, across a variety of orgs.
- Identifies smart engineering and consultant partners to build out the right team to successfully complete initiatives.
- Has an open and flexible attitude toward developing alternate solutions and methods to enhance or supplant industry norms, and has enough knowledge to understand the impacts of the norms that are broken.
- Embodies the ethos and expands the ambitions of the R+D Lab
- Senior Licensed Engineer with a degree in mechanical or electrical engineering.
- Experience with a range of different project sizes and program types, with a focus on MEP (IoT / Smart Buildings experience a plus).
- Expertise in all phases of the design + construction process, from Concept through Construction Administration, with an emphasis on the successful delivery of unusual designs and novel systems or processes
- Experience with the contracting, fabrication, and supplier side of the ecosystem
- Excellent planning skills, including careful attention to detail, information organization and timeline and budget creation and tracking
- Tools to understand potential exposures/roadblocks and strategies to overcome them
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across many teams and at all organizational levels; effective strategic negotiation skills
- Solution-Seeking and action-oriented
- Demonstrated positive and effective leadership
- Creative problem solver
- Working knowledge of building and planning codes, with the ability to foresee regulatory or bureaucratic obstacles to execution
- Relentless curiosity and a passion for the built environment
- An obsession with user-centered discovery and design process
This position is full time at the R+D Lab located on the premises of a large tech company in Mountain View, CA, with full-time employment through XL Construction.We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE AA M/F Vet/Disability)
H1B Visa sponsorship is not available for this specific position.
Please submit professional credentials, including curriculum vitae and cover letter for our consideration.