Senior Preconstruction Manager
- Responsibility for delivering superior preconstruction services and oversight of estimating.
- Lead role in providing all deliverables required for RFP responses, e.g., budget review/bid, schedule, approach text, etc.
- Engage effectively with Owner and designers / engineers during meetings where XL is present.
- Manages all preconstruction or bidding functions on projects with no limit on size.
- Conducts all levels of preconstruction role including oversight of estimates from conceptual to detailed to final GMP/bid.
- Overall Cost Management during preconstruction.
- Design Management during preconstruction including Target Value Delivery (TVD) and Value Engineering (VE).
- Effective facilitation of risk workshops and output risk register documentation.
- Effective contribution to constructability reviews.
- Options Analysis - creative problem solving and able to propose value adding solutions.
- Responsible for ensuring the proper reviewing/proofing/levelling of competitive bids.
- Direct the Preconstruction Managers including assignments, quality assurance and budget review.
- Takes the lead in creating a comprehensive ITB - ensures subcontracts are bought out properly.
- Review opportunities to engage Underutilized Business Enterprises (UBE) during procurement.
- Ensure that Trade Partners get meaningful feedback on both wins and losses when bidding.
- Keep current with (technology) 'tools' to increase efficiency/proficiency.
- Remain up to date with XL service offerings from the Construction Technology group and understand their applications.
- Understand the application and use of estimating systems.
- Strategist for securing bid opportunities (Win work).
- Development of draft General Conditions / General Requirements including staff-loader.
- Maximize sub relationships to support XL work.
- Awareness of external market trends and competitive intelligence.
- Maximize fee enhancement opportunities i.e. SDI, SPW, buyout.
- Explore opportunities for the use of Bradley, Elevated and Arrow in all GMP/Bid submissions.
- Work cohesively with project teams and provide effective direction during preconstruction.
- Train others on different systems, their cost structures, and estimating approaches.
- Coaching / Mentoring of direct reporting preconstruction staff.
- Review of prime contract to assess risk and refer to risk management team
- Active involvement in outside industry groups.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 12-18 years in construction (8-10 years in estimating/bidding, 8-10 years in XL Market Segments).
- Expert knowledge and understanding of structural, architectural and MEP systems, corresponding unit costs, and the factors that affect construction cost.
- Excellent presentation skills with Owners and XL project teams.
- Strong client and designer / engineer relationships.
- Familiar with Timberline Estimating and On-Screen Take Off (OST).
- Strong construction knowledge- understands new building structural systems including deep foundation systems, facades, and MEP systems.
- Multiple large (100K sq. ft. + ground up) project experience.
- Proven successful track record of winning work and delivering preconstruction services.
- Ability to oversee conceptual / summary level schedules.
- BS level education or professional certification.
- Ability to assess and manage risk.
- Knowledge of LEED, Well, and Living Building Challenge.
- Knowledge of Target Value Delivery, Pull planning and other lean concepts.
- Experience with negotiated and competitive bid submissions.
- Experience with progressive and stipulated sum Design/Build.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE AA M/F Vet/Disability)
To all recruitment agencies: XL Construction does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our job alias, XL Construction employees or any other company location. XL Construction is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.