R+D for the Built Environment (@XL Construction), Full-Time
Mountain View, CA
Who we are/ What we do:
R+D for the Built Environment (@XL Construction) is the ideas workshop for a large tech company in Mountain View. We are architects, engineers, researchers, designers, inventors, dreamers and builders who are obsessed with meaningfully shaping our environment. We are a community of optimistic, passionate, action-oriented solution-seekers who love to say “yes” and then create the path to deliver on that answer. From the scale of the Desk to the scale of the District, we generate ideas and prototypes that deliver immediate tangible value, and project a resilient, resource efficient, technologically-enriched and beautiful future.
What You Do:
As a Project Manager, you are a non-traditional project leader responsible for overseeing one or more of our initiatives each quarter, hitting established cost and schedule targets and producing value-driven outcomes. You have a broad knowledge base across all aspects of design and construction, with a focus on prefabrication, interiors, and/or workplace design and delivery. Though perhaps not an expert across all subject areas, you can assemble and manage a team of specialists who can solve almost any problem related to the built environment - at both the desk and building scale. You are also a collaborative leader, guiding a team and facilitating the relationships necessary to generate exciting solutions to difficult problems. You are a skilled manager, with the ability to maintain a high level view, and the skills to get into the details as needed to help teams work most effectively. You are an adept natural communicator, optimistic and positive, and can make hard work feel like a vocation. You identify with the success of the team, and dive in to do whatever it takes to create the best work. You thrive in an optimistic team environment where we deeply respect each other and try to leave each other feeling inspired and energized.
- Takes ownership of projects, establishes teams (both internal and consultant-based), and plans out quarterly work with schedules, key milestones, budgets, goals, priorities, and effective tracking mechanisms
- Leads a team of internal and external designers, researchers, and creators to successfully execute the lab’s initiatives and overall goals
- Checks in regularly with lab leadership; facilitates meetings, workshops and other processes necessary for a high quality work product
- Identifies good consultant partners and executes all contracts necessary to build out the right team to successfully complete initiatives
- Develops analytical frameworks and reports that expedite the decision-making ability of design and fabrication teams
- Has an open and flexible attitude toward developing alternate solutions and methods to enhance or supplant industry norms, and has enough knowledge to understand the impacts of the norms that are broken
- Embodies the ethos and expands the ambitions of the R+D Lab
- Senior Architect or Project Manager with a degree in Architecture, Engineering or Construction Management; licensure preferred (if applicable).
- Expertise in all phases of the design + construction process, from Concept through Construction Administration, with an emphasis on the successful delivery of novel systems and processes
- Expertise in budget preparation, financial analysis, construction and project management
- Excellent planning skills, including careful attention to detail, information organization and timeline tracking, and the ability to utilize data to tell a story
- Tools to identify potential exposures/roadblocks on a project roadmap, and strategies to overcome them
- Ability to take the many components that constitute a project and prioritize them in service of achieve the Lab’s goals
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across many teams and at all organizational levels
- Solution-Seeking and action-oriented
- Demonstrated positive and effective leadership
- Organized, meticulous manager, yet also a creative problem solver
- Working knowledge of building and planning codes, with the ability to foresee regulatory or bureaucratic obstacles to execution
- Effective strategic negotiation skills, and ability to influence and collaborate at all organizational levels, and with partner and vendor teams
- Relentless curiosity and a passion for the built environment
- An obsession with user-centered discovery and design process
This position is for full-time employment with XL Construction, at the R+D Lab located on the premises of a large tech company in Mountain View, CA.
Please submit professional credentials, including curriculum vitae, cover letter, and portfolio of work for our consideration.