Director, People Practices and Well-Being
We are seeking a transformative HR Operations Director. This hands-on, HR operations-focused director role will plan, lead, develop, coordinate, and implement the execution of multiple HR functions. The leader will have a talent for developing team members as well as experience designing efficient HR processes and operations (specifically total rewards programs), and a thorough understanding of California labor relations and compliance.
- Responsible for developing and executing the HR operational strategy in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of the organization, specifically through effective integration of HR practices, total rewards, employee relations, and system enablement.
- Develop and implement Human Resources policies, practices, and programs for the entire company; create an environment guided by equity, diversity, and inclusion; and provide clear and transparent communications for the organization to understand and apply/support.
- Be a transformative leader to help facilitate growth projections.
- Ensure team structure provides effective support for the organization as we evolve and grow.
- Develop total rewards strategies – compensation, bonuses, health, wellness, retirement, time off, and recognition. These strategies and pay practices motivate individual performance in alignment with business objectives.
- Review, audit, and report on Total Rewards practices to ensure adherence to fair pay practices. Responsible for non-discrimination reviews, audits, and required reporting.
- Build relationships with and collaborate with partners and brokers (e.g., insurance, retirement, wellness, etc.) to effectively manage programs, ensure compliance, and manage the cost-effectiveness of programs for the company and individuals.
- Review and recommend changes to these programs and carriers to VP of Human Resources.
- Determine, recommend, and implement employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee engagement and retention.
- Provide learning programs to educate managers and supervisors regarding the policies, programs, and accepted practices.
- Support the oversight and administration of employee relations, disputes, and investigations.
- Ensure alignment with CA DIR, EEOC, OFCCP, and ERISA requirements.
- Ensure that all Company related administrative forms, reports, processes, and audits are completed accurately, timely and in compliance with relevant local, state, federal and provincial regulations for Benefits, HR Recordkeeping and audits and compliance.
- Monitor exposure of the company and educate/communicate any exposure and mitigation plans with cross-functional leaders.
- Responsible for the employee handbook that reflects the current policies, procedures, and programs.
- Function as primary contact with labor counsel and outside government agencies.
- Support management as advisor on HR practices, performance management counsel, and termination decisions.
HR Best Practices & Compliance
- Collaborate with team and cross-functional teams to architect vision for HR system environment – optimize systems, create automation possibility for end-users, data, and analytics to create leader awareness and make decisions.
- Protect the interests of employees and the company in accordance with company Human Resources policies and governmental laws and regulations.
- Oversee and guide company’s HR-related technology map vision and strategy (including HRIS, ATS, ADP, LMS, etc.).
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in HR.
- Conduct research and analysis of organizational trends, including review of reports and metrics from the organization’s HRIS: Paylocity.
Development of Direct Reports
- Prioritize the individual development of your direct reports.
- Develop others through coaching, feedback, exposure, and stretch assignments.
- Align employee development goals with organizational objectives.
- Encourage people to accept career development and broadening moves.
- Consistently uses multiple methods to develop others.
- Stay alert to developmental assignments inside and outside of own workgroup.
- Willing to share the spotlight and recognize other’s achievements.
- Develop and manage the annual business planning process for HR Operations.
- Create and administer the budget for the Human Resources function.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Organizational Development, Business, or another related field.
- Advanced degree- MBA, Organizational Development, Human Resources, or related field preferred.
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) or SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) certification preferred.
- A combination of education and equivalent experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- At least 8 years' experience gained through management positions within Human Resources with increasing levels of responsibility including 3-5 years working on a preferably managing complex programs and projects within the HR scope.
- Generalist background with a broad experience in total rewards (compensation and benefits), employee relations, labor relations, employment, organizational planning, and/or learning and development.
- Experience in developing people and people-centered policies, processes, and practices.
- Proven ability to drive change at the organizational level including transformation initiatives, continuous improvement of policies and practices, and strategic risk-taking to advance the company’s efforts and achieve desired outcomes.
- Proven experience advocating to secure buy-in for change and transformation.
- Strong communication skills and a proven ability to use influence to affect change.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion initiatives in a corporate setting with measurable results.
- Critical thinker and problem solver.
- A high degree of professionalism, discretion, and sound judgment.
- Good understanding of current labor legislation and union environments.
Position location: Milpitas, CA
H1B Visa sponsorship is not available for this specific position.
XL is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE AA M/F Vet/Disability)
Qualified applicants are evaluated without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, political affiliation or belief, age, gender identity, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected characteristic.