Technology Innovations Manager
Technology Innovations Manager
R+D for the Built Environment (@XL Construction), Full-time
Mountain View, CA
Who we are/ What we do:
R+D for the Built Environment (@XL Construction) is the ideas workshop for a large tech company in Mountain View. We are architects, engineers, researchers, designers, inventors, dreamers and builders who are obsessed with meaningfully shaping our environment. We are a community of optimistic, passionate, action-oriented solution-seekers who love to say “yes” and then create the path to deliver on that answer. From the scale of the Desk to the scale of the District, we generate ideas and prototypes that deliver immediate tangible value, and project a resilient, resource efficient, technologically-enriched and beautiful future.
What You Do:
As the Technology Innovations Manager, you support the efforts of team members on any number of initiatives, projects, and tasks. You’re eager to contribute and provide technology solutions, new technology ideas that would enable and improve the projects. You love challenge, experimentation with new tools and technologies, and you strive to find solutions to problems at hand. You’re flexible, adaptable, and humble in your work. Your tasks may consist of building physical mock-ups, working prototypes, testing solutions for user experience, and assisting team members with producing presentation documentation and other materials.
You are a jack or jill of many trades and can help the team achieve the best results. You identify with the success of the team, and dive in to do whatever it takes to create the best work. You thrive in an optimistic team environment where we deeply respect each other and try to leave each other feeling inspired and energized. You’re hungry for knowledge and passionate about building new projects! The Lab is a unique, fast-paced environment to learn and contribute an array of knowledge and skill sets.
- Researching and implementing physical and digital technological solutions within the R+D projects and initiatives.
- Understanding and executing each project’s vision by providing technological solutions for the team across all concept, design, development, and implementation efforts. This includes but is not limited to: innovation, prototype, pilot, and/or productization projects.
- Building mock-ups and working prototypes for their proposed innovative solutions for the workspace, as required by each project.
- Initiating innovative research that engages VR/AR, Audio Visual strategies, and sensing technology in relationship to architecture and environments.
- Developing project plans for testing and delivering design solutions as required by each project.
- Identifying good design and consultant partners to build out the right team to successfully complete initiatives.
- Having an open and flexible attitude toward developing alternate solutions, changes of directions and methods.
- Embodying and contributing to the ethos and ambitions of the R+D Lab.
- Collaborating with partners for technology implementation and development on a project basis.
- Regularly reporting to the Senior Innovation Manager to ensure alignment on overall vision and prompt project delivery.
- Architect or Designer with an advanced degree in Architecture or a related design discipline, and 5-7 years practical experience with design, technology, fabrication, and prototyping.
- Wide range of technological skills and expertise will be considered: VR/AR, digital media, audio-visual systems, projections and projection mapping, sensing technologies, robotics, computer-controlled fabrication techniques. Preference will be given to those with experience in practical applications and related to the future of workspace.
- Significant experience in building physical mock-ups and working prototypes that are experimental in nature, yet useful and applicable. Strong hand prototyping and rapid prototyping skills preferable.
- Significant experience in delivering exceptional technological solutions for a range of different scale projects.
- Self-directed and organized, has the ability to manage up and openly communicate with the team to keep processes going.
- Excellent planning skills, including careful attention to detail, love of materiality, information organization, and timeline tracking; ability to utilize data to tell a story.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across many teams and at all organizational levels.
- Solution-seeking and action-oriented.
- Demonstrated positive and effective leadership.
- Creative problem solver.
- Relentless curiosity and a passion for the built environment.
- An obsession with user-centered discovery and design process.
This position is for full-time employment with XL Construction, at the R+D Lab located on the premises of a large tech company in Mountain View, CA.
Please submit professional credentials, including curriculum vitae, cover letter, and portfolio of work for our consideration.