R+D for the Built Environment (@XL Construction), Full-Time
Mountain View, CA
Who we are/ What we do:
R+D for the Built Environment (@XL Construction) is the ideas workshop for a large tech company in Mountain View. We are architects, engineers, researchers, designers, inventors, dreamers and builders who are obsessed with meaningfully shaping our environment. We are a community of optimistic, passionate, action-oriented solution-seekers who love to say “yes” and then create the path to deliver on that answer. From the scale of the Desk to the scale of the District, we generate ideas and prototypes that deliver immediate tangible value, and project a resilient, resource efficient, technologically-enriched and beautiful future.
What You Do:
As a Fabrication Coordinator, you are the liaison between design teams and the world of fabrication, and will be critical to translating abstract ideas into built prototypes. You are an agile thinker, with full and complete facility with construction documents and shop drawings and can preview problem areas in terms of constructability, materials, schedule and budget before releasing a prototype to our construction teams. You can communicate with our team about design and can also help manage projects to a budget and schedule.
You are also able to speak the language of construction, both digital and conventional. You now when to employ one over the other, and when to integrate them in the production of prototypes and mock-ups. You are an expert in the tools of digital modeling and have your own favorite workflows for moving between all of them to get the best results. You can tell a compelling story with graphic tools. You identify with the success of the team, and dive in to do whatever it takes to create the best work. You thrive in an optimistic team environment where we deeply respect each other and try to leave each other feeling inspired and energized.
- Supports Superintendent in managing construction costs, including:
- Prepare contract costs for pre-construction review + approval based on information provided
- Highlight deficiencies in information provided that may lead to cost uncertainty
- Provide updates for changes in cost due to design changes, circumstances beyond control, etc. (Change Orders)
- Performs quantity take-offs and orders materials for quarterly initiatives
- Manages budgets for prototypes and reconciles budgets with construction team
Supports Superintendent in developing and maintaining master construction schedule
Support Superintendent in managing construction + installation communications, including:
Sequence, schedule and coordinate all aspects of the construction/installation of the project, including:
- Coordinate with Facilities Manager or others as needed to manage access to the site for deliveries and work
Manage project closeout, including:
- Understanding of budget preparation, budget management, and construction / project management
- Demonstrated expertise in technologies of digital design and fabrication
- Conversant with use of emails, Bluebeam Mark-ups; knowledge of CAD is desired
- Relentless curiosity and a passion about the built environment
- An obsession with user-centered discovery and design process
- Solution-Seeking and action-oriented
- Ability to utilize construction tools and equipment. While union carpentry affiliation is not required for application, employment will require enrollment in the Carpenters Union.
- 3 years minimum experience
This position is for full-time employment with XL Construction, at the R+D Lab located on the premises of a large tech company in Mountain View, CA.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE AA M/F Vet/Disability).
H1B Visa sponsorship is not available for this specific position.
Please submit professional credentials, including curriculum vitae and cover letter for our consideration.
To all recruitment agencies: XL Construction is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.