R+D for the Built Environment (@XL Construction), Full-Time
Mountain View, CA
Who we are/ What we do:
R+D for the Built Environment (@XL Construction) is the ideas workshop for a large tech company in Mountain View. We are architects, engineers, researchers, designers, inventors, dreamers and builders who are obsessed with meaningfully shaping our environment. We are a community of optimistic, passionate, action-oriented solution-seekers who love to say “yes” and then create the path to deliver on that answer. From the scale of the Desk to the scale of the District, we generate ideas and prototypes that deliver immediate tangible value, and project a resilient, resource efficient, technologically-enriched and beautiful future.
What You Do:
As the Lab Producer, you expedite activities in support of team members on any number of initiatives, projects, and tasks. You are able to rapidly execute on immediate needs, whether through quickly onboarding a team of consultants or solving the problem yourself, hands on. You are outcome driven, quickly identifying your target and driving a roadmap to get there. You’re eager to contribute and provide leadership and support wherever is needed.
You are able to speak the language of construction and/or architecture, both digital and conventional. You are a jack or jill of all trades and can help the team achieve the best results. You can manage diverse, rapidly changing teams and stakeholders. You can prioritize and synthesize seemingly unreasonable requests into immediately actionable plans. You are fluent with architectural and construction drawings and CAD / BIM software. You identify with the success of the team, and dive in to do whatever it takes to create the best work. You thrive in an optimistic team environment where we deeply respect each other and try to leave each other feeling inspired and energized. You’re hungry for knowledge and passionate about learning! The Lab is a unique, fast-paced environment to learn and contribute an array of knowledge and skill sets.
- Respond to critical assignments and needs for the Lab, spanning anything from fabricating prototypes, to managing facility activities, to coordinating on-site events.
- Quickly roadmap and actionize assignments to achieve desired results at a rapid pace.
- Takes ownership of assignments, drives progress of each, and checks in regularly with lab leadership on status, risks and any needed decisions.
- Source and manage vendors to deliver on assignments as needed.
- Carries an open and flexible attitude toward developing alternate solutions and methods to enhance and/or achieve assignment goals.
- Provide general support for the team as needed for high visibility projects and assignments.
- Embodies the ethos and expands the ambitions of the R+D Lab.
- Degree in Architecture, Engineering, Industrial Design or a related design discipline and 5+ years practical experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in technologies of physical and digital design and fabrication.
- Demonstrated experience in budget preparation, construction, and project management.
- Self-directed and organized, has the ability to manage up and openly communicate with the team to keep processes going.
- Excellent planning skills, including careful attention to detail, information organization and timeline tracking; ability to utilize data to tell a story.
- Provide tools for understanding potential exposures/roadblocks and strategies to overcome them.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across many teams and at all organizational levels.
- Solution-seeking, self-starting and action-oriented.
- Demonstrated positive and effective leadership.
- Organized, meticulous manager, yet also a creative problem solver.
- Working knowledge of building and planning codes, with the ability to foresee regulatory or bureaucratic obstacles to execution
- Effective strategic negotiation skills, and ability to influence and collaborate at all organizational levels, and with partner and vendor teams.
- Strong graphic and drawing skills, both with quick hand-sketching, and digital fluency in Rhino, AutoCAD, and the Adobe Suite as well as familiarity with Revit.
- Experience with the building permitting process.
- Relentless curiosity and a passion about the built environment.
This position is for full-time employment with XL Construction, at the R+D Lab located on the premises of a large tech company in Mountain View, CA.
Please submit professional credentials, including curriculum vitae, cover letter, and portfolio of work for our consideration.