Research and Design Lead
Senior Research Manager
R+D for the Built Environment (@XL Construction), Full-Time
Mountain View, CA
Who we are/ What we do:
R+D for the Built Environment (@XL Construction) is the ideas workshop for a large tech company in Mountain View. We are architects, engineers, researchers, designers, inventors, dreamers and builders who are obsessed with meaningfully shaping our environment. We are a community of optimistic, passionate, action-oriented solution-seekers who love to say “yes” and then create the path to deliver on that answer. From the scale of the Desk to the scale of the District, we generate ideas and prototypes that deliver immediate tangible value, and project a resilient, resource efficient, technologically-enriched and beautiful future.
What You Do:
As the Research and Design Lead for the Lab, you will oversee multiple initiatives related to workplace, the built environment, and the AEC industry. You have the ability to transition adeptly between a wide variety of topics that you may not be an expert in, ranging from architectural design to energy systems to software architecture. No matter what the subject, you can rapidly uncover key opportunities and obstacles to innovation. You have the ability to determine long- and short-range research priorities and pathways even when operating in ambiguous and shifting contexts. You thrive in interdisciplinary teams and are able to hear and unify varied viewpoints and stakeholders.
You will manage a range of design research initiatives, and lead a complex network of consultants and cross-functional internal stakeholders. You can both strategize and execute on a wide array of activities to support design research and development, including running design sprints; designing and conducting user research; and managing the construction of full-scale prototypes. You are hungry for knowledge and are ready to roll up your sleeves and dive into content, and are constantly staying on top of industry trends and innovations to incorporate into our work. You have both the ability to maintain a high level view and the ability to dive into the details to help teams prioritize goals so they can work most effectively to the best outcomes. You are an adept communicator who can take charge of any room. You thrive in an energetic and optimistic team environment where we deeply respect each other and try to leave each other feeling inspired and energized.
- Oversees a portfolio of initiatives, and with staff support establishes teams both internal and consultant-based, and plans out quarterly and long term work with schedules, and key milestones, budgets, goals and priorities, and tracking mechanisms.
- Provides strategic direction on research plans to achieve actionable insights for cross-functional Lab initiatives.
- Leads a team of internal designers, researchers, and creators to successfully execute the lab’s initiatives and overall goals
- Creates executive-level presentations and documentation for a wide range of audiences and purposes.
- Regularly presents work outcomes and developments to Lab leadership and executives.
- Has an open and flexible attitude toward developing alternate solutions and methods to enhance or supplant industry norms, and has enough knowledge to understand the impacts of the norms that are broken.
- Embodies the ethos and expands the ambitions of the R+D Lab.
- Architect or Engineer with an advanced degree, and 8+ years practical experience with design, project management, program management, applied research, innovation programs, or technology incubators.
- Thrives in ambiguity. Ability to deliver on goals that will shift and morph over time. Ability to work towards long term ambitions in addition to short term deliverables.
- Ability to quickly understand principles, pain points, and industry relevancy of complex, technical content.
- Ability to lead and navigate multi-disciplinary teams on high-stakes projects.
- Excellent planning skills, including careful attention to detail, information organization and timeline tracking; ability to utilize data to tell a story
- Ability to rapidly identify potential exposures/roadblocks and strategies to overcome them.
- Ability to foresee challenges, identify red flags, and develop and implement mitigation strategies.
- Ability to rapidly assess risk, make decisions, and execute action plans.
- Ability to collaborate effectively across many teams and at all organizational levels.
- Impeccable communication skills in written, verbal, and graphical form.
- Deep experience in creating and presenting presentations to executive decision makers.
- Solution-Seeking and action-oriented.
- Relentless curiosity and a passion for the built environment.
- An obsession with user-centered discovery and design.
This position is for full-time employment with XL Construction, at the R+D Lab located on the premises of a large tech company in Mountain View, CA.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE AA M/F Vet/Disability)
H1B Visa sponsorship is not available for this specific position.
Please submit professional credentials, including curriculum vitae, cover letter, and work samples for our consideration.