Senior Project Engineer
Senior Project Engineers work closely with the Project Manager and Superintendent to help manage and execute the timely and safe completion of the construction project. They take responsibility for maintaining, reviewing, and distributing documentation related to drawings, specifications, estimates, scopes of work and the change process. A Sr. PE may be part of a team on a large project or may manage a small project with limited PM oversight. A strong familiarity with XL’s systems, processes and technology enable Sr. Project Engineers to be a valuable resource to the team and project. They must be flexible, detail-oriented, team players with the ability to manage multiple tasks, communicate proactively, produce quality work, and consistently meet deadlines.
- Contribute as part of a team in formal presentations for new projects.
- Lead or assist with instructions to bidders and assembling bid packages; perform takeoff's and estimate aspects of new projects. Perform outreach to trade partners to promote project opportunities and generate interest - increasing bid coverage.
- Assist in assembly of the Control Estimate and project setup in Vista.
- Execute aspects of the subcontractor buyout and selection process.
- Perform project management responsibilities on smaller projects or portions of a larger project, such as: write and administer subcontracts & exhibits; prepare cost forecasts, lead meetings & job walks, help produce monthly billings, Q.C. coordination, etc.
- Manage the procurement process on the project with limited oversight. Solve challenges related to procurement based on knowledge of project schedule.
- Participate in and occasionally lead OAC meetings and prepare timely and accurate meeting minutes.
- Estimate change orders; review and validate pricing for PCC's and EWA's. Evaluate subcontractor change orders for accuracy and fairness. Present change orders to the client with limited oversight.
- Lead the document control process: Distribute plans, specifications, drawings, permits, etc. to appropriate parties and maintain drawing revision log.
- Evaluate, prepare, and distribute appropriate RFI’s. Gather, prepare, review, and distribute submittals. Maintain accurate logs/records of the activities associated with these processes and ensure that critical pending items are brought to the forefront.
- Monitor, measure, inspect and report on work put in place in the field. Perform QC activities for installed materials or systems.
- Assist with the resolution of challenges in the field.
- Along with the Superintendent, manage and perform updates to the Project Schedule.
- Proactively manage the punch-list and close-out process; including warranty, O&M, LEED and as-built documentation.
- Maintain extensive contact with the client, owner’s representative, design team, subcontractors, and others; develop and maintain positive relationships with the entire project team.
- Assist with efforts to mentor, train and develop other project staff members.
- Always promote the highest level of professionalism and ethics.
- Know and demonstrate XL Values.
- Ensure XL's safety policies and procedures are known, in place and practiced.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 3 to 5 years of prior experience as an engineer or project engineer in the construction industry possessing solid experience with healthcare, corporate office, life science/technology or education construction projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong knowledge of basic construction materials and methods.
- A good understanding of the technical and business aspects of construction project management.
- Solid understanding of the building permit approval process.
- Advanced knowledge of required technology and software applications, including: Microsoft Suite, Timberline Estimating, Vista Project Management, Procore, Primavera, On-Screen Takeoff, and Bluebeam.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- OSHA 10 Certification
Position Locations: San Francisco Bay Area; Silicon Valley, CA
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE AA M/F Vet/Disability)
H1B Visa sponsorship is not available for this specific position.
To all recruitment agencies: XL Construction does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our job alias, XL Construction employees or any other company location. XL Construction is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.