R+D for the Built Environment (@XL Construction), Full-Time
Mountain View, CA
Who we are/ What we do:
R+D for the Built Environment (@XL Construction) is the ideas workshop for a large tech company in Mountain View. We are architects, engineers, researchers, designers, inventors, dreamers and builders who are obsessed with meaningfully shaping our environment. We are a community of optimistic, passionate, action-oriented solution-seekers who love to say “yes” and then create the path to deliver on that answer. From the scale of the Desk to the scale of the District, we generate ideas and prototypes that deliver immediate tangible value, and project a resilient, resource efficient, technologically-enriched and beautiful future.
What You Do:
As a Fabrication Coordinator, you are the liaison between design teams and the world of fabrication, and will be critical to translating crazy ideas into built prototypes. You are an agile thinker, with full and complete facility with construction documents and shop drawings and can preview problem areas in terms of constructibility, materials, schedule and budget before passing it onto our construction teams. You can communicate with our team about design and can also help manage projects to a budget and schedule.
You are also able to speak the language of construction, both digital and conventional, know when to employ one over the other, and when to integrate them in the production of prototypes and mock-ups. You are an expert in the tools of digital modeling and have your own favorite workflows for moving between all of them to get the best results. You can tell a compelling story with graphic tools. You identify with the success of the team, and dive in to do whatever it takes to create the best work. You thrive in an optimistic team environment where we deeply respect each other and try to leave each other feeling inspired and energized.
- Collects all documentation for the Fabrication Team, and interfaces with design teams when necessary for clarification and supplemental information on drawings
- Performs quantity take-offs and orders materials for quarterly initiatives
- Supports design teams in researching and strategizing alternative vendors, materials, means and methods
- Assists design teams in managing budgets for in-house prototypes, and reconciles budgets with in-house GC Team
- Establishes and administers internal graphic standards
- Maintains Fabrication Equipment and runs training sessions new users
- Embodies the ethos and expands the ambitions of the R+D Lab
- BA/BArch/MArch degree in Architecture, Engineering or related design discipline and 4-5 years practical experience in a design, fabrication or construction firm
- Understanding of budget preparation, financial analysis, construction and project management
- Demonstrated expertise in technologies of digital design and fabrication
- Relentless curiosity and a passion about the built environment
- An obsession with user-centered discovery and design process
- Solution-Seeking and action-oriented
This position is for full-time employment with XL Construction, at the R+D Lab located on the premises of a large tech company in Mountain View, CA.Please submit professional credentials, including curriculum vitae, cover letter, and portfolio of work for our consideration.