Senior Project Manager - Special Projects
Sr. Project Managers have direct responsibility for all aspects of multiple small/mid-size projects. They lead all phases of a project through its life cycle; including estimating, purchasing, engineering, accounting, construction, safety, and quality assurance activities. Sr. Project Managers bring a higher level of problem solving/solution creation, risk management, communication and technical “know-how” to their team(s) and projects. Strong interpersonal skills and effective communication skills must accompany their technical skills. These enable the Sr. Project Manager to effectively train, develop, coach and supervise team members as well as develop strong working relationships with clients and key trade partners.
- Along with the Business Development team, a Special Project Group Sr. Project Manager is responsible for pursuing, proposing, and winning local contracts for TI/Renovation projects, and then leading individual teams to the successful completion of awarded projects. Existing knowledge of and relationships with the relevant potential client-base is preferred.
- Issues bid instructions to subcontractors, finalizes project costs, coordinates project start-up and mobilization, and supports the on-site construction activities and Project Superintendent by obtaining necessary permits, providing responses to RFIs, and issuing drawings and changes.
- Provide expertise and leadership in design-build and design-assist relationships and other alternative project delivery methods.
- Demonstrate an understanding of conceptual estimation and unit costs.
- Develop contracts that protect XL from unnecessary risk and enhance fee opportunities.
- Ensure the effective use of available resources to increase efficiency and effectiveness of the team and the project(s); i.e. VDC, Sustainability, Lean practices, Bradley, SPW, XL Shop, etc.
- Actively promote XL’s safety culture and practices. Provide insight and supervision for the development and maintenance of construction safety policies, procedures, and practices. Participate in project safety meetings and reinforce program objectives.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Construction Management or Engineering.
- 10+ years progressive experience in technical construction projects such as
Life Science, Bio-Labs, Data centers, Manufacturing plants, cGMP warehouses, Structures/Interiors, mid-high rise, Shell & Core, healthcare, OSHPD, K-12, or community college/university and/or public school DSA projects within the Bay Area.
- Proficient with computer applications such as MS Project, PowerPoint, and Timberline.
- Ability to develop a detailed project schedule.
- Cost management, controls and reporting.
- Solid understanding of the building permit process and of all trades, including MEP.
- Experience leading and maintaining the highest-level in construction safety practices.
- OSHA 10 Certification
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and proven ability to effectively lead teams.
- Strong skill set as a builder and in project management, with a solid record of success.