Director of Engineering
We are uniquely positioned to lead the way in the exciting Health Tech industry. With several million people logging in and using Weight Watchers’ Apps and systems we are modernizing and rebuilding most of our core experiences and embracing modern engineering practices and techniques. Our strategy is to compete in an increasingly digital weight loss market. Our innovative technology fundamentally improves the way people manage their weight, health and wellness. We are agile service oriented, data-driven, cloud enabled and efficient. We’ve built Simple UIs on Angular, micro services in Play/Scala & Node, moved our core data to Mongo and Cassandra and enhanced our mobile apps. As reliance on health and wellness awareness increases, come make an impact on a team that is leading the way!
To help us achieve our goals, we are seeking a Director, Engineering (Visitor Website) to join our team. You will leverage your knowledge to evolve our visitor experience using modern Engineering practices such as Agile development, Continuous Integration and Deployment, Micro-services, etc. As a Director at Weight Watchers, your architectures, designs and decisions will be highly visible, and will directly impact and delight our users; both internal and external.
- Develop a high-level view of current and future state business and technology architecture for Visitor Website Content Management System that is well-connected with product strategy
- Provide leadership in developing standards, architectural design patterns and best practices
- Work with other team members to develop a comprehensive view of all aspects of Visitor Website architecture
- Lead and help build a team of high performing engineers
- Develop and demonstrate subject matter expertise in various areas such as Content Management Systems, Micro-services Architectures, Cloud Computing
- Evaluate and identify the benefit case for using new technologies
- Provide leadership role by participating in architecture review conversations to help guide development of Content Management solutions that are strategically aligned to the overall architecture vision
- Work with other IT staff and review product requirements, solution alternatives, and designs and standards compliance
- Infuse architectural concepts like responsive, resilient, elastic, reusable, standards-based, fault-tolerant, scalable and manageable solutions
- Provide support to other tech staff in high priority issue resolution
- Participate in Oversight of delivery of final solutions including Coding, Vendor Engagement and performing code reviews of technical team members’ contributions
- Extensive experience managing Drupal platform on high traffic websites (Specifically 7 to 8 Migration)
- Full Stack Development experience delivering Content Management solutions including Frontend and Backend
- Deep understanding of Responsive Web semantics and paradigms
- Solid understanding in data structures, algorithms, Object-Oriented design principles
- Strong track record of shipping products
- Frontend design and development in support of both web and mobile interfaces using HTML, AJAX, CSS, JSON, XML
- Frontend design and development using web frameworks like jQuery, Angular, Ember, React, etc.
- Extensive experience with a RDBMS such as Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server, PostgreSQL
- Experience working with Test-Driven Development
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Strong knowledge of profiling techniques, memory management, troubleshooting and performance tuning
- High level of self-motivation and initiative and the ability to excel in a fast-paced environment and quickly acquire proficiency with new skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to establish effective and professional working relationships with co-workers.
- Ability to manage parallel work streams
- Computer science degree or equivalent academic or professional background.
Nice to have
- Expertise with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB, Cassandra
- Experience with GitHub for use software workflow and delivery
- Experience delivering server less and/or docker-based solutions
- Experience with multiple Content Management Systems
- Experience building a custom Content Management System
- Experience with a development
- Experience with Amazon web services
- Experience with Solr and Algolia search engines or equivalent
- Experience with ReactJs
At Weight Watchers, we inspire healthy habits for real life. We meet our members where they are and leverage the latest nutritional and behavioral science to help them eat healthier, move more, and shift their mindset. We are a purpose-driven organization and we understand how to create community and deliver personalized services to help our members throughout every step of their journey.
We have more than 50 years of history and trust to build on, and we are leveraging technology, community, and behavior science to help more people around the world reach their goals. Our approach is science-based and evidence proven to help people lose weight and develop healthy habits to live life fully. If being part of a purpose-driven, member-focused, high-performing digital culture sounds exciting to you; we invite you to explore Weight Watchers and our open positions.
We hire only the best people. Here are the benefits to being top-notch:
- The opportunity to work with some of the best innovators in the industry
- Generous healthcare coverage.
- 401(K) with company match.
- Paid Time Off
- Paid parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement
- Annual wellness allowance
- Profit Sharing
Weight Watchers is an equal opportunity employer. Weight Watchers does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, creed, national origin, marital status, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.