The Financial Controller is a key member and leader of the Woodruff Sawyer Corporate Accounting Team. Reporting to the Corporate Controller, the Financial Controller will lead accounting, tax, audit, and related compliance functions of our quickly growing organization along with the day-to-day operations of our Accounting Team. The ideal candidate will possess a detailed understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and internal control expertise in addition to excellent analytical, time management, organization, and communication skills both written and verbal.
What You’ll Do
- Lead, develop and improve our month, quarter, and year-end close and financial reporting processes
- Lead accounting, audit, taxation, compliance, equity, and payroll functions
- Evaluate and continually improve accounting procedures, processes, and systems to ensure an outstanding internal control environment
- Partner closely with our Financial Strategic Services team that maintains and runs our accounting data and financial reporting
- Serving as a liaison between the Corporate Accounting Team and other departments across the organization; working to streamline workflow systems and staffing process and drive overall efficiency
- Mentor and train our Accounting Team to ensure we continue to meet the needs of our rapidly growing organization by actively educating and mentoring the group, providing specific, honest, and tactful feedback as well as creating measurable goals with completion timelines throughout the year
- Be a great partner and manage the deliverables of our audit, tax, compliance, 401(k) and ESOP third party vendors
This job is for you, if...
- You’re not comfortable with the status quo. You evaluate existing practices and recommend changes for improvement
- You are an authentic, inspiring, and hands-on leader with experience managing hard-working accounting teams through hyper-growth and enjoy instructing and explaining accounting concepts to your team
- You are passionate about customer service and will ensure that every employee from our CEO to our summer intern is fully supported in their accounting and payroll needs
- You pride yourself on your communication skills and love cross-functional collaboration
- You’re comfortable "rolling up your sleeves” and participating in deeply sophisticated strategy discussions, and then implementing changes within the team and organization
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree, with emphasis in Accounting or Finance
- CPA required
- 7+ years of accounting experience (including Public Accounting and Payroll Management) including 3+ years of managing a team
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Experience with NetSuite, Paylocity, Concur and Carta preferred but not required
- Adaptable and outstanding communication, organization, and time management skills
Who We Are
As one of the largest insurance brokerage and consulting firms in the US, Woodruff Sawyer protects the people and assets of more than 4,000 companies. We provide expert counsel and fierce advocacy to protect clients against their most critical risks in property & casualty, management liability, cyber liability, employee benefits, and personal wealth management. An active partner of Assurex Global and International Benefits Network, we provide expertise and customized solutions where clients need it, with headquarters in San Francisco, offices throughout the US, and global reach on six continents.
We are a privately held corporation, owned 100% by our employees. Our benefits include:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- 401k with company match and profit sharing
- Ownership in the company through our Employee Stock Option Program (ESOP)
- Paid vacation, holidays, and sick days
- Life Insurance, Short-term and Long-Term Disability benefits
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Wellness programs and workplace flexibility benefits
- Professional development and reimbursement programs
- Added perks like discounted event tickets, pet insurance, financial coaching, identity theft protection, etc.
What you’ll be getting from us:
- An opportunity for growth, development and advancement in the areas of client involvement, risk assessment and management
- The opportunity to work with sharp, motivated co-workers in a collaborative and entrepreneurial team
- A flexible work schedule
- Security for your future: Employee Stock Option Program (ESOP), 401K with company match and profit sharing
- Medical, Dental and Vision benefits for employees and families (including domestic partners)
- Life Insurance, short term and long-term disability benefits
- Paid vacation, holiday and sick days
- Tuition reimbursement
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program
- Fun company and team outings
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
- Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
- Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
- Short- and long-term disability.
- Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
- Employee discount programs.
- 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).