EPL Claims Consultant
Position: Employment Practices Liability Sr. Claims Consultant
Reports To: Claims Segment Manager or Practice Leader
FLSA Code: Exempt
JOB PURPOSE STATEMENT:
Woodruff Sawyer, one of the nation’s largest privately held insurance brokerages, is looking for a Senior Claims Consultant to join our Management Liability Claims team. As a Senior Claims Consultant, you will be responsible for the effective oversight and management of claims for clients who purchase Employment Practices Liability policies. You will provide a broad scope of claims services, including advising clients on coverage, managing communication between the client, insurers and legal counsel, and advocating for client interests. You will have the opportunity to demonstrate your ability to analyze complex claims, develop claim handling action plans, negotiate with insurers, advocate effectively for clients in coverage disputes, and interact with claims professionals and client representatives.
Primary Job Duties
- Review claims for reporting and establishing strategies for coverage.
- Provide advice to clients on potential coverage for complex claims.
- Proactively manage liability claims for assigned clients.
- Negotiate with insurers on coverage for defense costs and settlements.
- Communicate claim updates to clients, Woodruff Sawyer brokers and claim managers.
- Meet with clients, insurer representatives, and defense counsel contacts as necessary.
- Assist brokers with presentations to current and prospective clients.
- Maintain approved diary system to ensure timely follow up of key issues.
- Provide excellent depth and breadth of knowledge and leadership initiative to clients and team members in handling complex and detailed issues in a clear, efficient and timely manner.
- Ability to develop and grow professional relationships both internally and externally at all levels, including C-suite and key decision makers.
- Possess excellent presentation capabilities with the ability to focus on and address clients’ key needs and concerns. Able to run high-level meetings from beginning to end; can influence and persuade others through the use of logical fact-based arguments
- Establish and communicate workflow expectations; demonstrate ability to proactively overcome barriers and be persistent in finding acceptable solutions.
- Serve as a technical resource to team members on in-depth knowledge of procedures and complex issues; assist less experienced staff when handling difficult or intimidating situations or struggling to build relationships.
- Delegate work appropriately and use delegation as an opportunity to develop others; participate fully as a team member; provide backup to designated team members and actively contribute to establishing and meeting team goals.
- Exemplify Woodruff Sawyer’s core competencies at appropriate level.
- Demonstrates ongoing commitment to professional development.
- Minimum of seven years of claims management experience, law firm, TPA or brokerage environment preferred.
- College degree and Juris Doctorate preferred. High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Advanced knowledge of core management liability and professional liability policies / coverage areas, claim procedures and terminology.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Exceptional verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent analytical, negotiation and organizational skills; ability to multi-task and shift focus as priorities change.
- Fire & Casualty license required upon hire or within 3 months of obtaining position.
- Valid Driver’s license and reliable transportation required.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Proactively and effectively service clients to assure needs, timelines and expectations are met; including active participation in team and client meetings either directly or via phone.
- Clearly read and interpret information for clients and colleagues both verbally and in writing.
- Build relationships and interact in a tactful and professional manner in a fast-paced, customer centric environment; remain calm under pressure.
- Proactively overcome barriers and find acceptable solutions to client issues.
- Coach, develop and manage assigned staff; serve as a positive role model; help foster camaraderie within the Practice.
- Assist in developing and driving the team strategy related to client service and team skills development
- Speak and articulate clearly, sit, stand, reach, bend, twist, lift files and keyboard on a routine daily basis for the majority of the day. Lifting requirements will generally be less than 10 pounds.
- Able to travel as needed to client and partner locations around the country or abroad.
- An opportunity for growth, development and advancement in the areas of client involvement, risk assessment and management.
- The opportunity to work with sharp, motivated co-workers in a collaborative and entrepreneurial team.
- A flexible work schedule.
- Security for your future: Employee Stock Option Program (ESOP), 401K with company match and profit sharing.
- Medical, Dental and Vision benefits for employees and families (including domestic partners).
- Life Insurance, short term and long term disability benefits.
- Paid vacation, holiday and sick days.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program.
- Fun company and team outings