Chief of Staff
WRI Indonesia’s rapid growth has resulted in increased need for management capacity. We have expanded beyond the Forest’s program with Oceans and Cities likely to experience rapid growth. The Forests program itself has large streams of work which are large mini-programs in themselves in an Indonesia context. We’ve increased the number of project managers, and there is more and more coordination required between the programs and Operations.
Growth has also created new management tasks that do not fit into any existing projects. The following additional tasks will be managed by the Chief of Staff for WRI Indonesia
Mission, Values, and Approach: For WRI Indonesia to achieve its potential all staff must share a common “DNA”, understanding our vision and approach and living common values which is common to the global WRI sisterhood. The one-day MVA course will be presented regularly at all of our offices. We need a senior manager to oversee these important “common culture” issues.
- The CoS would, together with the HR Manager, ensure that the MVA training is being provided throughout WRI Indonesia, and that a mentoring program is running effectively. He/She would also seek to establish metrics for assessing the extent to which our mission, values and approach are understood and practiced.
Making WRI Indonesia deliver: WRI Indonesia is delivering across multiple project streams across diverse program areas. WRI Indonesia can deliver maximum impact when there is conversation, coordination, learning across projects and program. This requires constant attention to ensure transactions costs are low, and a strong focus is retained. Monthly Management meetings and other means of bringing managers and staff cutting across silos to collaborate on specific proposals, topics, discussions are an important part of this.
- The CoS will be responsible for measuring and overseeing the healthy functioning of WRI Indonesia, be a focal point for information and advisor to the WRI Indonesia director, seeking to support the Director manage program and operations delivery, maximize synergies and reduce frictional costs. This would include overseeing the preparation of the Management Meetings, programs strategy and review meetings and retreats.
New Initiatives and major overtures: WRI Indonesia have a much broader profile than before. As a result, we are approached regularly to participate in new ventures and partnerships. Even if, we choose not to engage, this places significant additional work load on the management, requiring internal consultations that detract from core delivery tasks.
- The CoS would oversee special initiatives that don’t fit neatly into existing spheres of responsibility of the current MT. He/She would also take responsibility for handling major incoming proposals when significant internal consultation is required.
Implementing Executive Decisions: Seeing through the implementation of the decisions made by the Board, the WRI Indonesia Director and the MT can become more complex in a multi-office environment. It is essential that accountability be maintained.
- The CoS would ensure more effective transmission of decisions-in-action throughout the organization – a core task for any Chief of Staff.
Measuring and reporting program results: Growth has made it harder to capture the overall successes and weaknesses of the program and objectively track program delivery. WRI Indonesia needs to upgrade its efforts and create a real-time conversation of the health of the portfolio with top management and the Board.
- The CoS will oversee the Planning and reporting for all programs and functions across WRI Indonesia and be responsible for reporting to the management team regularly, and the Board’s quarterly on the health of the portfolio. An early task will be to clarify the data that would prompt improved decision-making.
- Master's Degree in Organizational Management, Project Management, Public Policy, Business Administration or related field
- Minimum 8 years' experience in related field
- Strong leadership and management experience
- Experience leading and performing complex projects
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and problem solve
- Superior interpersonal skills with an outstanding ability to communicate clearly, passionately, and compellingly to a wide range of audiences.
- Possess superior analytical skills with the ability to make rapid but sound decisions
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Ability to anticipate the needs of the Director and the board
Final candidates will be required to take a writing test. Also required to produce two writing samples
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous, comprehensive benefits package.
Qualified applicants should apply online at careers.wri.org. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
Application close: 1700 (Jakarta Time), 31 January 2019. We will close the advert earlier when best candidates are identified at earlier dates.
This is a locally engaged position; Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply.
The World Resources Institute (http://www.wri.org) is an environmental and development research and policy organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people’s lives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, protected veteran status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI's policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.