Consultant - Sustainable Landscapes & Restoration
Consultant- Sustainable Landscapes & Restoration
What is WRI India?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 1000 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
WRI India’s Sustainable Landscapes and Restoration program aims to protect, maintain and restore landscapes to secure livelihoods of 700 million people directly dependent on forests and agriculture and strengthen India’s environmental well-being. As part of this program, WRI India is looking to recruit an experienced consultant with a advanced degree in the natural sciences, advanced skills in GIS and remote sensing, and at least seven years of full time, relevant post-study work experience. The position holder’s principal responsibilities will include supporting and strengthening the spatial research aspects in the ongoing work streams to enable building strong cross-sectoral networks for implementing restoration interventions as well as developing monitoring and evaluating systems. Over time, this position may evolve into a staff position, wherein the position holder will be expected to establish and enlarge the spatial analysis function of WRI India’s landscape program.
The candidate is expected to bring research and communication skills and be comfortable with interdisciplinary, inter-programmatic, geographically dispersed teams. In addition, s/he will be expected to contribute to the fullest possible extent, in all program activities including fund-raising, convening partners and stakeholders, identifying and recruiting talent as well as day to day management tasks. The position is most suited to an individual willing to take on the challenge of a new, fast growing, and developing program of work. Please note that the position holder must be willing to travel, including in remote areas with difficult terrain.
Research: developing science based solutions for planning, implementing and monitoring restoration (50%)
- Strengthening the ongoing restoration opportunity assessment through GIS and remote sensing data as well as stakeholder inputs, restoration opportunity at national, state and landscape levels. This also involves analysis of scientific (bio-physical, social and economic) evidence, as well as experiences of on-going and past restoration programs along with best practices.x
- Strengthening ongoing restoration monitoring and evaluation frameworks for landscape restoration in ways that leverage emerging technology, global knowledge as well as WRI’s assets and tools.
- Producing high quality knowledge products (maps and technical notes, infographics, working papers, reports, issue briefs and so on) that encapsulate research findings and communicate these to diverse audiences, for influencing restoration policy and practice.
Partnership building and communications for scaling up restoration (30%)
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with key stakeholders including governments, research organizations and universities, civil society organizations, and corporate sector for implementing and scaling landscape restoration in India.
- Convening multi-stakeholder consultative groups for extending the research and impact of WRI’s analysis and solutions.
- Communicating research findings in diverse formats (blogs, policy briefs presentations) suitable for stakeholders in government, private and non-government sectors, with a focus on influencing policy and practice.
Program management and development to further WRI India’s ambitious growth strategy (20%)
- Identifying opportunities for fund raising and contributing to fund-raising efforts including pitching ideas and writing proposals.
- Project planning, monitoring and reporting
- Participating in shaping of a collegial, quality driven and professional programme of work.
- Supporting different activities of the programme including organizing roundtables, workshops, seminars, and brown bags.
- Masters degree (or PhD) in natural sciences, environmental sciences, agriculture or forestry.
- Technical expertise in GIS and demonstrated experience of applying GIS for land use planning and management, including through participatory and citizen science approaches.
- At least four years post study full time, research experience relating to agriculture and forest ecosystems and climate change or water.
- Demonstrated experience of working in inter-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated skills of engaging in participatory approaches, and high levels of comfort in working with scientific data as well as local knowledge.
- Knowledge of international development, global forestry, landscape restoration and climate policy issues is necessary.
- Strong ability to communicate clearly and effectively in conversation and writing, including professional quality writing for policy and communications products. Fluency in spoken and written English is essential.
- Ability to take initiative, brainstorm, think creatively, juggle multiple priorities and work under pressure with tight deadlines. The candidate must be willing to try new approaches and ideas and be innovative.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others; to demonstrate flexibility in fulfilling assignments.
Location: Delhi, India
To Apply: Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.