Program Associate - Sustainable Cities and Transport
Program Associate - Sustainable Cities and Transport, WRI India
Who we are and what we do?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Sustainable Cities and Transport
At WRI India Ross Center we focus on 10 integrated solutions to urban challenges. Through applied research, tools, hands-on advice, and by tapping our network of global experts, we accelerate transformative urban initiatives that have the power to change Indian cities into thriving, equitable and low-carbon places that are good for people and the planet.
Working at WRI India Ross Center offers you the unique opportunity to learn and grow as you collaborate with a diverse set of change agents across Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai. As India’s biggest urban focused think and do tank, we seek thoughtful, enterprise-minded and sensitive individuals who can help us support this transformation and make a positive difference to citizens’ everyday lives.
About your role:
WRI India is seeking a candidate for the Sustainable Cities and Transport Program to support an initiative to use AI and machine learning principles to capture and analyse transit-based crowding. The effort is instrumental in developing a science-based approach to measure, comprehend and address challenges in crowding at transit infrastructure. The initiative will demonstrate the merits of technology, its accuracy and scalability to capture crowding metrics and enable an evidence-based approach to manage heavy ridership loads of transit systems.
How your day will unfold:
- Develop an understanding of the in-house algorithms based on Machine Learning principles. Run the algorithm on large, raw datasets based on defined parameters
- Enhance the algorithm by building additional features that cater to specific requirements of different use cases
- Develop robust codes to process and analyze outputs of the algorithm to derive specific metrics to meet requirements of the project. Work with transit authorities to understand requirements and translate them into functional codes. Identify new metrics that can aid in the measurement of transit crowding and identify patterns
- Identify and collate proxy data sets that complement existing ones to complement requirements and undertake integrated analysis
- Undertake basic spatial analysis transit station areas
- Prepare visualization and create dashboards to visually demonstrate insights from analysis of temporal and spatial data sets
Qualifications and requirements we seek:
- Masters/bachelor’s degree in computer science with a specialization in data science is required
- 3 to 4 years of experience in data science related areas of work with strong analytical capabilities
- Comfortable with object -detection, artificial neural networks, image processing tensorflow/pytorch
- Experience and proficiency in programming in Python, R and Java Script. Knowledge on additional statistical and programming languages will be an added advantage
- Good GIS capabilities. Experience of working on QGIS or ArcGIS
- Experience of working in or knowledge of the urban mobility sector in Indian cities is desired
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and inclination to address complex urban challenges.
Salary and Benefits: 6,50,000 to 7,50,000 CTC PA
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: 1 year (Extendable based on performance and project requirements)
Location: Mumbai, India
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
People-centric to the core:
We keep our people at the centre of everything we do - from a welcoming work environment to benefits and a culture that encourages staff to stay healthy, happy, engaged, and growing.
Some of the non-monetary benefits that our staff get:
Health benefits: We cover health insurance for you and your loved ones for up to INR 8 lakhs
Term Insurance: Our term insurance policy covers life coverage of 50 lakhs per staff member
Employee Assistance program: Promoting mental well-being and supporting staff in achieving a satisfying work-life balance
Digital healthcare service: Online doctor consultations for your primary healthcare needs
Flexible work schedule: Alternative work arrangements for all who are eligible by nature of their job
Learning culture: Workshops and trainings to empower staff, encourage new learning opportunities
Rest and Recharge weeks: We encourage staff to take time off to rest, rejuvenate, upskill, and pursue their interests.
Our leave policy: Avail personal time off at 36 per year, along with public holidays, maternity, paternity, and adoption leaves.
Click here to know more about our benefits Careers | WRI INDIA (wri-india.org)
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.