MANAGER – COMMUNICATIONS (ROAD SAFETY)
Manager – Communications (Road Safety)
What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Sustainable Cities and Transport
At WRI India Ross Center we focus on 10 integrated solutions to urban challenges. Through applied research, tools, hands-on advice, and by tapping our network of global experts, we accelerate transformative urban initiatives that have the power to change Indian cities into thriving, equitable and low-carbon places that are good for people and the planet.
Working at WRI India Ross Center offers you the unique opportunity to learn and grow as you collaborate with a diverse set of change agents across Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai. As India’s biggest urban focused think and do tank, we seek thoughtful, enterprise-minded and sensitive individuals who can help us support this transformation and make a positive difference to citizens’ everyday lives.
The Manager -Communications Coordinator for Road Safety initiative will work closely on the Bloomberg Philanthropies Initiative for Global Road Safety project with WRI India Cities communications team and WRI India’s core communications team. The role entails developing and managing communication and outreach initiatives, liaising with partners, and supervising and documenting visual elements for on ground and digital initiatives. The selected candidate will report to Senior Manager – Integrated Transport.
The primary responsibility of this role is developing communications strategies for a diverse set of stakeholders, content creation that involves writing, editing, and proof-reading while digital outreach, website maintenance and on-ground event support are additional responsibilities.
We would like a Communications generalist with an interest in equity, street design, road safety and urban development to apply for this position.
Excellent English writing, proof reading and editing skills. The candidate must also have some digital content creation experience. Reading/writing knowledge of Hindi, Marathi or Kannada and Visual design knowledge/interest would be a plus.
- Develop ad effective communications strategy for dissemination of our work through the print, web and digital media.
- Provide writing, editing and proof-reading support.
- Help team members write blogs and proof/edit to meet WRI India’s standards.
- Write press releases, newsletters, and social media content along with ideating, facilitating, and editing op-eds for external publication. Check for length, language, flow, spelling and grammar.
- Document on-ground activities – challenges, opportunities and impact.
- Serve as liaison between WRI India communications and program staff to develop program-related communications.
- Manage quality control and ensure timely dissemination of emailers and newsletters.
Website & Social Media -
- Develop an overall communication strategy for effective dissemination of projects and research on social media and the website and in planning effective campaigns when necessary.
- Perform quality control checks on all new and revised content for websites and social media.
- Work closely with WRI India communications staff to ensure that the Integrated Transport team’s news coverage is promptly and systematically shared on the organization’s social media platforms, websites and in any newsletters, recap mailers or for external media outreach.
- Ability to create/supervise simple social media infographics/visuals and disseminate research data in a visually appealing format. Visual communication expertise and knowledge of photo editing software are a plus but not necessary.
- Facilitating webinars that involve digital planning and social media coverage in collaboration with the social media team.
- Contribute to web projects and manage backend updates.
Coordination and Other Responsibilities -
- Communicating and coordinating with partners and other stakeholders.
- Ensuring that all WRI India content disbursed to the media is precise, factual, and legally sound. Also, ensuring WRI India’s branding and style guides are adhered to in all outreach materials.
- Mapping media to specific work and pitching relevant stories in collaboration with the Media lead.
- Identifying key messages and packaging and pitching stories for dissemination.
- On-ground support for events and workshops and coordinating with local vendors.
- Minimum 5-8 years of full-time experience working as:
- Media communicator in the social sector or an environmental organization
- Freelancing or working in the print or digital media, with a focus on urban issues.
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to build and maintain productive relationships internally and externally.
- Capability to create appropriate and fitting content for a diverse set of stakeholders within the government and civil society.
- Capability to communicate complex ideas in well-organized, everyday language.
- Ability to self-manage and meet deadlines, manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, technical curiosity, and willingness to learn.
- Understanding of how websites are built and basic troubleshooting.
- Basic familiarity with design software (Photoshop, InDesign) is an added benefit.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: 3 years as term hire
Location: Mumbai, India
Start date: At the earliest
Only Qualified applicants should apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter/ Resume
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose. Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.
Learn more about our organization at www.wri.org.