Communications Manager, NDCP
This position can be either based in Washington DC, USA or in Bonn, Germany.
The NDC Partnership is seeking a dynamic communications specialist with experience successfully mobilizing diverse stakeholders behind a common vision to execute the communications strategy of the Partnership’s Support Unit . This position will involve both proactive planning and implementation of ambitious, comprehensive communications strategies as well as reactive, rapid daily interaction on issues related to the Partnership. It will ensure the implementation of the communications strategy advances the reputation and brand of the Partnership , its influence, reach, and impact. Tasks will include developing and implementing targeted messaging, including for the NDC Partnership’s website and social media channels; and publications and marketing materials. This position will also be responsible for managing media relationships. This will require close coordination with NDC Partnership member countries, institutions and other key stakeholders. This position will report to the Head of Communications for the NDC Partnership Support Unit.
This position is remote due to Covid-19, but you will be based at WRI’s office in Washington, DC or in Bonn, Germany once restrictions have lifted.
Communications products (50%)
- Contribute to the development of compelling narratives for the Partnership’s activities and initiatives. Tailor messages for key audiences, including developing country governments, partner organizations and donors
- Work with the project teams to write, edit and produce world-class external communication products that amplify examples of countries taking early and ambitious action to implement their national climate plans under the Paris Agreement, especially through the collaborative efforts of the NDC Partnership
- Develop and execute, in coordination with external vendors, creative ways to translate climate-oriented analysis and policy recommendations into compelling storylines, including through multimedia content, such as videos, photos and infographics Oversee translation of materials into English, Spanish and French as needed
- Develop general internal communications materials, including messaging, talking points, PowerPoint slides, infographics and marketing materials
Platforms and outreach (25%)
- Manage media outreach to traditional and new media, including pitching, research, handling incoming requests, and monitoring daily news coverage, particularly for high-level events. Maintain working relationships with media partners. Monitor daily news coverage, particularly around high-profile climate-development moments
- Oversee the daily management of the NDC Partnership website including oversight of the NDC Partnership’s external web vendor, coordination and development of content and recommending and overseeing strategic improvements to the website
- Grow the Partnership’s online presence and impact through improved multimedia offerings and social media reach
- Support the Head of Communications in development of a communications strategy for the Partnership that builds on our country engagement and knowledge work and the strengths of our members to drive NDC implementation and enhancement globally
- Liaise with communications leads from members to align communication efforts around common messages on Partnership’s objectives, including identifying strategic opportunities for joint outreach and collaboration
- As needed, supervise junior staff including interns, ensuring their effectiveness and well-being. Manage external vendors
- Contribute to training and capacity building for Support Unit staff on communications-relevant skills such as writing, presenting, media engagement and by encouraging team members to blog and use social media to make their voices heard throughout the field
- Coordinate with team members across the Support Unit. Participate in team meetings, retreats, etc.
- Master's degree in relevant field (Communications, Journalism, Public Policy, etc.), or a bachelor's degree with an additional 2 years of work experience
- Minimum 5 to 7 years of relevant work experience
- Experience with writing and crafting messaging, including via social media
- Relevant professional experience in creating communications strategies and project management; ability to lead the planning, coordination and execution of communications products, influence strategies and audience targeting
- Prior working experience and relationships with relevant press (and established media contacts)
- Experience in coordinating multi-team projects and external contractors
- Experience designing and leading implementation of successful engagement and communications strategies in one or more of the following settings: national, state or local government; national or state-level NGO, private sector or public service, or political campaigns; international experience or prior work in a global organization preferred
- Experience crafting communication strategies around climate, energy or broader environmental issues an asset
- US work authorization needed for this position
$79,000 - $106,000 if based in United States. Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
Following the landmark Paris Agreement, countries are implementing their Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) for climate action. The NDC Partnership is a coalition of countries and international institutions working together to ensure countries receive the technical assistance and financial support they need to achieve ambitious climate and sustainable development targets as fast and effectively as possible. The Partnership aims to increase alignment, coordination, and access to resources to link needs to solutions. 1. Technical Assistance and Capacity Building - We support governments in defining the processes, policies, and plans required to deliver mitigation and adaptation goals, alongside other development objectives. 2. Knowledge and Information Sharing - We enable countries to learn from and support each other, turning local know-how into global action through knowledge tools, case studies, peer-to-peer exchanges, and other knowledge products. 3. Access to Finance - We facilitate countries in aligning their NDC goals with financial resources. We use a country-driven approach that helps governments set priorities and connect them to available resources across our membership.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges, and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $150 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 1,000+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa , Brazil , China , Europe , India , Indonesia , Mexico and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.