Science & Research - Senior Specialist
10 hours per Week
All WRI-branded knowledge products pass through a rigorous, centralized peer review process, involving both internal and external experts, to ensure quality, accuracy, institutional coherence, and a lack of bias in our research. We measure our success in terms of the quality of our research and its ability to drive change in the world in ways that support our mission.
In this role, you will foster a culture of research excellence and ensure high quality across WRI Brazil’s publications.You will work closely with our Global Science and Research (S&R) team, supporting the peer review process for our knowledge products in Brazil, mentoring program staff, developing and providing training to research staff.
We anticipate the workload will be approximately 10 hours per week but will vary depending on the number of publications that are going through review.
Scope of Work
In this role, you will execute peer review processes for WRI Brasil publications and provide support to research staff on policy research design, data interpretation, and analytical issues. Your activities will include the following:
- Ensure that all WRI Brasil branded knowledge products meet WRI’s quality standards and are designed to deliver actionable results
- Strengthen WRI Brasil’s capacity to conduct high-quality, actionable research by providing guidance on research design, data interpretation, analytical issues
- With the WRI Brasil Director and the WRI Global S&R team, execute the peer review process for selected draft publications, provide feedback to authors, help guide reviewers and authors as needed
- With WRI Brasil Director and Global S&R team, provide early feedback to authors on producing effective, rigorous, groundbreaking content for their publications that is fit for key audiences, including policymakers, businesses, multilateral development organizations, etc.
- Review all WRI Brasil publications and recommend sign-off after internal and external review for working papers, issue briefs, reports and other knowledge products
- Help research staff identify external experts who can effectively review work
- Mentor and provide support to research staff on policy research design, data interpretation, and analytical issues. Help research staff organize internal meetings on their research methodologies
Attributes and Credentials
- Track record of producing and overseeing high quality research. Strategic thinking, strong planning and managerial skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of specific research methods, quantitative or qualitative, and ability to communicate those methods clearly to diverse colleagues;
- Superb quantitative, conceptual, and analytical skills as well as a results-oriented outlook.
- Sound judgment and the ability to uphold high quality standards. Strong sense of skepticism and the ability to diagnose and articulate weaknesses in research.
- Demonstrated ability to give constructive feedback and clearly explain the reasoning behind decisions.
- Native speaker of Brazilian Portuguese, highly proficient in English. Excellent writing skills in both languages.
- International experience strongly preferred. Natural curiosity and interest in keeping current with the latest science and policies relevant to WRI Brasil’s work.
- Strong methodological skills in social sciences, natural sciences, urban planning or related fields. Minimum of ten years of experience in conducting policy research related to environment and/or development;
- Patience and persistence and willingness to stand up for quality under pressure.
Advanced degree, preferably a Ph.D., in an environmental/development discipline.
Minimum 10 years of experience conducting policy research on environment and/or development.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Qualified applicants should apply online at careers.wri.org. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
Established in 1982, WRI is a non-profit organization respected globally by policymakers, non-governmental organizations, and corporate leaders.
WRI’s reputation is grounded in its excellent analysis, non-partisan approach, and high-impact results. We measure our success based on how our work helps to create real-world change on the ground—and approach we call “Managing for Results.”
WRI’s work is united by and driven by our values: Innovation, Integrity, Urgency, Independence, and Respect.
WRI fosters a culture of innovative ideas, working collaboratively, and thinking independently.
Learn more about our organization at www.wri.org.
About WRI Brasil
WRI Brasil is an independent Brazilian research organization that works closely with leaders to turn big ideas into action to sustain a healthy environment — the foundation of economic opportunity and human well-being. Our work focusses in three main areas: climate, sustainable cities, and forests.
WRI Brasil is an OSCIP-registered NGO in Brazil associated with the global WRI network, spanning more than 50 countries, with offices in China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. Our more than 950 experts and staff work closely with leaders to turn big ideas into action to sustain our natural resources—the foundation of economic opportunity and human well-being.
Learn more about our organization at www.wribrasil.org.br.