Project Associate - Early Childhood Friendly Cities, Sustainable Cities & Transport
Project Associate - Early childhood friendly cities, Sustainable Cities & Transport
What is WRI India?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 1000 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
WRI India is seeking a Project Associate for the Integrated Urban Transport strategy under WRI India Ross Center for Sustainable Cities. The candidate needs to be passionate about early childhood development centric cities and self-driven towards influencing positive change in the real world. The Project Associate will be involved in research on various topics related to work area of integrated transport including road safety, demography of children in the city, public spaces and public life, non-motorised transport, accessibility and public transport, policies and regulatory provisions related to early childhood development. The Project Associate need to be equally good in engaging with partners and stakeholders, support conducting discussions and workshops, conducting qualitative and quantitative analysis, need to prepare clearly communicating drawings, visualisations, written reports and communication material. The Project Associate need to be energetic and agile, willing to learn and respond quickly, outcome oriented, team player and available to travel at short notice are essential characteristics. The Project Associate will also assist Integrated Transport team in various other projects or tasks as required time to time.
The Person We Are Looking For:
Indian cities are major generators of economic growth and are also opportunities to provide higher quality of life for large sections of underprivileged and vulnerable population. Cities offer rich opportunities for livelihood and learning. But they can also pose challenges for families such as: lack of open, green, safe spaces for children to play and caregivers to meet; long and unpredictable commutes; unsafe housing, pollution and poor sanitation; Children growing up in such conditions are undergoing severe psychological disturbances. Public spaces – streets realm in Indian cities are also highly unsafe, 43 children in India lose their lives on roads every day. Children of 0 - 5 age are much more sensitive and vulnerable to environmental impacts than adults; toxic elements disrupt and interfere with their internal processes much more than those of adults. These toxic elements can interfere with one’s ability to learn by reducing memory and focus which can quickly lead to mental health issues. Studies show that investing in the early years can not only transforms a child’s life but also it can alter the trajectory of a nation’s growth and competitiveness. Current researches indicate that investments in the early years – especially the first 1000 days of life during peak brain development – are critical to help children achieve their full potential and escape the cycle of poverty. Well-being of infants, toddlers and their caregivers is the best measure of a vibrant, prosperous and healthy city. Young children can be a powerful, easy-to-understand ‘cause’ for mobilizing political and public will for a broad range of urban livability initiatives.
WRI is seeking a creative and multi-talented expert of urban design and transport planning for position of Project Associate to work on enhancing public spaces, transport and streets of Indian cities in its WRI India offices. Reporting to the Project Manager you will lead engagement with cities in preparing comprehensive and compelling solutions to help governments, civic groups, professionals and other stakeholders to develop and implement projects to enhance opportunities for early childhood development in Indian cities. This would be achieved through a systematic enhancement of public domain and environment of cities by engaging with them to formulate projects and help them implemented; data-oriented decision making; and induce policy, regulatory and institutional changes towards achieving the goal. The Project Associate will conduct all project related activities such as surveys, collect data, engage with stakeholders, prepare analysis, co-create solutions with stakeholders and help them implemented and work towards institutionalization of the solutions in the Government agencies.
WRI globally, has deep experience in urban mobility and is widely recognized as a leader in promoting sustainable cities. Currently, WRI India is helping various cities to enhance road safety and promote sustainable communities in their areas. These engagement with cities to enhance early childhood development will help to further the goal.
Co-ordination of project work
- Responsible for all engagement with the City Government and stakeholders to coordinate towards achieving project objectives.
- Coordinate and prepare technical documents for the projects including data collection, conduct or coordinate surveys, compilation, analysis, base maps, design drawings, 3D visualizations, reports, presentations, general graphics and info graphics, etc.
- Lead conducting focused group discussions with Local Government agencies, local community groups, NGOs, experts, private agencies such as Schools, etc. and record their inputs towards the objectives.
- Build consensus for solution by conducting trials of solutions on-ground and record their impacts through surveys and prepare reports.
- Support WRI India in any other research or projects related to urban development related areas.
Communications and partnership
- Coordinate and schedule meetings regarding projects, make presentations, assist in conducting stake holder consultations, focused group discussions and workshops.
- Communicate closely with WRI India internal team members towards meeting objectives of the project and constant progress reporting.
- Support the preparation of internal and external communications and media such as brochures and web content.
- Focus on early childhood development, attention to vulnerable groups, gender and poverty.
- Support development of process guides, and toolkits.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Post-graduation in Urban Design/ Urban Planning/ Transport Planning/ Early Childhood Development/ related fields
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in relevant field, with experience of leading responsibility of all deliverables related to designing of streets, public spaces and related projects.
- Passionate about enhancing quality of life of children in Indian cities, familiar with sustainable urban design principles, urban mobility in Indian cities, policies, general awareness of environment and climate change.
- Good understanding of transport related issues, comfortable in quantitative and qualitative data analysis is a requirement.
- Strong design skills, understanding of landscaping, construction materials, specifications and procurement processes.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Adobe package, 3D visualization Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint is a requirement.
- Strong drawing and presentation skills, ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- Working knowledge of GIS is preferred.
- Ability to work individually and with the team and enthusiastically work under pressure situations
Salary and Benefits:
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Mumbai / Bengaluru / Delhi / Hyderabad, India
Start date: 1st October 2019
To Apply: Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.