Contract: P4G Investment Manager, Latin America
The investment advisory role aims at increasing the success of the number and quality of P4G partnerships achieving financial sustainability to catalyze impact and bring investment to the region. In this position, you will lead commercial viability and investment flows into P4G by leveraging network and investor relationships and managing deal flow for P4G funded partnerships for blended financing and financial closure. As the P4G country manager for Colombia, you will play an important role in the development of multi-stakeholder partnerships that advance market-based solutions for green growth, and support in-country engagement and participation of Colombia to major P4G activities and events by coordinating closely and working with the P4G Global Hub and the Colombian National Platform and P4G partners.
The successful candidate for this position must be based in and have the right to legally work in Bogota, Colombia.
1. Investment advisory role for Latin American P4G partnerships: to mobilize investment opportunities for P4G funded partnerships and for scale-up partnerships to achieve financial sustainability.
- Lead financial due diligence process and evaluation for commercial viability and competitiveness for P4G business model for new P4G partnership applications from Latin America region, including reviewing business plan and financial forecasts, and understand, evaluate and manage investment risk and mitigation
- Conduct market research to support the development of investment strategies and identify transaction opportunities for P4G partnerships in Latin America, with a focus on Colombia and Mexico
- Facilitate investment and blended finance solutions for P4G partnerships through technical support to their business model and commercial readiness from origination to acceleration
- Identify and maintain network of regional investment and development financing institutions and climate financing facilities relevant to execute strategies and transaction deals for P4G funded partnerships
- Manage investor relationships to relevant commercial and climate financing agencies to raise investor awareness and understanding of the P4G business model and innovative business models of funded partnerships
- Work with the P4G Investment team for fund raising for P4G and for investment in partnerships from donor countries, impact investors, foundations and financial institutions
- Coordinate with Partnerships and Engagement teams to incorporate elements of commercialization and business case for investment as part of partnerships origination and strengthening the eco-system for effectively delivering the P4G Business model
- Engage stakeholders and facilitate the development of innovative public-private partnerships that provide market-based solutions to advance SDG and NDC implementation based on Colombia’s national priorities for sustainable development and climate actions
- Provide program management and oversight to implementation of P4G partnerships within the country in close engagement with the Partnerships team
- Work with the Colombian P4G National Platform to ensure coordination between government ministries and other relevant stakeholders in the private sector and civil societies on P4G partnerships, the SDGs and NDCs. Help to develop a private sector co-chair for the National Platform
- Liaise with the National Platform, P4G partner country embassies and P4G partner organizations in Colombia to build the P4G network in Colombia
- Serve as primary contact between the National Platform, P4G partnerships and Global Hub to facilitate and coordinate Colombia’s engagement in P4G activities and events such as P4G Summit (to be hosted by Colombia in 2023), Board meetings, Executive Committee meetings, and the State of Art Report and P4G Awards
- Support the National Platform to develop and support implementation of annual P4G country workplans aligned with the P4G global workplan
- Represent P4G in relevant national events and support P4G workshops organized by the National Platforms
- Master’s or Advanced degree in business or finance and advanced degree in business or finance of banking
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in investment, commercial and strategic financial management functions
- Technical competency and significant experience in managing financial deal/transactions for innovative projects, and/or commercialization of start-ups and scale-ups, preferably in supporting investment deals for market-based ventures and green projects
- Analytical skills and deep knowledge in business planning, financial due diligence, reviewing and negotiating deal documentation. Experience with reviewing investment memorandum, project financing, venture financing, financial modeling and financial structuring (debt, equity, blended, guarantees etc.)
- Familiarity with regional investment and development financing schemes for innovative projects and green growth and on applications of global and regional climate fund facilities. Understanding of investment framework of private equity, development financial institutions and institutional investors
- Experience engaging with government officials of developing countries, especially in Colombia, in multi-stakeholder engagements and public and private cross-sectoral coordination around green growth themes/SDGs/NDCs
- Advanced understanding of the medium - long term development plans of Colombia and current priorities for climate actions
- Demonstrated knowledge or expertise in one or more of P4G’s technical sectors is desired. These include: Food and Agriculture, Energy, Water, Cities, and the Circular Economy
- Fluency in English and Spanish in written and oral communications required
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, global environment and multilateral institution
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities and to assess complex situations with strong attention to details to make effective recommendations
- Superb interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work collegially with others and with the highest standards of integrity
- Excellent communications and organizational skills required
- Commitment to P4G Partnership’s mission, values, and approach regarding climate and sustainability
The following elements will be the primary considerations in evaluating all applications submitted in response to this posting:
- The extent to which the applicant’s proposal fulfills WRI’s stated requirements as set out in this posting
- Demonstrated expertise and experience with similar projects
- Compliance Requirements: WRI receives funding from a variety of sources, including governments and other non-governmental organizations.
- In addition to WRI’s standard contract terms, certain funder conditions may apply.
Partnering for Green Growth and the Global Goals 2030 (P4G) is a global platform accelerating pioneering market-based partnerships to build sustainable and resilient economies. We invest in impact to deliver inclusive and tangible solutions that support partner countries in meeting their sustainable development goals and commitments to the Paris Agreement. We bring together business, government, and civil society organizations in innovative public-private partnerships to advance solutions in five key areas: food and agriculture, water, energy, cities and circular economy. P4G partner countries establish a multi-stakeholder National Platform within their country to pursue the goals of P4G. The primary functions of the national platforms are to facilitate and scale public-private partnerships and coordinate national engagement in P4G to advance sustainable development.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges , and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $150 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 1,000+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.