Corporate Engagement and Communications Associate
In this role, you will support some of WRI’s largest corporate partnerships to drive impact at scale on issues like science-based climate action, nature based solutions, the energy transition, deforestation, water stewardship and more. You will be responsible for ensuring clear, consistent, well-targeted, and compelling communications with key allies and stakeholders. As a part of the Corporate Relations team you will support internal alignment on cross-programmatic partnerships, to manage portions of our donor and project communications, branding, content strategy and timeline, media outreach, and events. You will also collaborate with the communication and engagement teams embedded within WRI's Center for Sustainable Business, Core Communications, and our International Offices to leverage WRI resources, as well as work with other Programs and Centers – particularly Energy and Forest groups – to ensure consistent, effective institutional messaging.
This position is remote due to Covid-19, but you will be based at WRI’s office in Washington, DC once restrictions have lifted.
Your work is divided into two areas with the specific responsibilities bulleted below:
50% of the time: Work with internal alignment and coordination as well as external facing communications and engagements for one multi-tier, multi-issue, global corporate partnership
- Serve as main communications and engagement contact liaising with global partners to design and implement communications strategy and guidelines
- Serve as main contact for multiple WRI teams and International Offices to ensure internal alignment on partnership, identify and track the necessary follow-up actions
- Track communications and engagement deliverables and milestones across the global matrix of projects
- Work with project manager to message and report on global partnership metrics
- Fully leverage WRI owned and partner owned communication channels (e.g. social media, press, events, editorial)
- Ensure communications and engagement activities support WRI’s influence and impact strategy, reach key stakeholders and leverage champions by for example mapping partner and stakeholder networks and supporting deliverables
- Strategic thinking in service of deepening relationships and scaling impact, for example coordinate and propose opportunities at major events like COP, Davos, etc. in support of outcomes and influence strategy
- Support relationships with 30+ CCG members – with opportunity to serve as dedicated relationship manager for a subset – for example by connecting them to WRI experts and resources
- Contribute to overall CCG membership offerings through communications and engagement, including but not limited to design and execution of member events, or communications activities like newsletters, email distributions, member documents, etc
- Master's degree required or a Bachelor's degree with 2 years of additional experience
- Minimum 3-5 years of full-time work experience
- Entrepreneurial mindsets will thrive in this role; experience connecting dots and people to enrich partnerships; confidence leading peers and groups
- Experience with private sector partnerships or knowledge of corporate sustainability is a plus. Interest is working with the private sector a must
- Experience in maintaining a strong and healthy external database of networks with information on key decision maker’s interests and preferences and experience with stakeholder mapping
- Experience managing moderately complex donor requirements; multiple, complex and time-sensitive projects; and experience in managing a project effectively for quality delivery in a timely manner
- Experience developing and implementing communication strategies and plans
- Understanding of various communication channels: web, social media, media, email, etc.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and deliver products on deadline
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Visual communications, such as graphic design and layout, are a plus
- Experience developing social media content for an institutional brand and knowledge of different social media channels
- Experience developing a strong and healthy internal network and an external network of media and related communication professionals.
- Working in a diverse and virtual environment
- Experience working with people from different countries and backgrounds, with sensitivity to cultural difference
- US work authorization is required. WRI is unable to provide visa sponsorship for this opportunity
Potential Salary: $59,000 - $77,000. Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
Corporate Relations Overview Sitting jointly between the Development team and Center for Sustainable Business, the Corporate Relations team supports both corporate fundraising and accelerating companies’ progress towards more sustainable business outcomes. In this capacity, the team works collaboratively across the Institute to amplify and scale outcomes with the private sector as a trusted thought partner. While WRI’s corporate ecosystem is vast, the CR team most directly supports a network of ~50 companies/corporate foundations that generate $1.1M in unrestricted funds and ~$25M in programmatic support.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges, and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $150 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 1,000+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.