Project Director Green BRI Project
The Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), first announced in 2013, seeks to support the construction of infrastructure worth hundreds of billions of dollars across multiple countries along the Belt and Road. Ensuring that the BRI channels capital toward low-carbon and environmentally sustainable technologies and projects and avoids locking in high-carbon infrastructure is a top priority for WRI, particularly in relation to WRI’s role in the BRI International Green Development Coalition initiated by the China’s Ministry of Ecology and Environment.
To conduct the above work, we seek a Project Director to lead general oversight of the Green BRI project, including developing a comprehensive and compelling project strategy that will help Chinese authorities and international stakeholders identify optimal pathways for a green performance through the BRI implementation, proposing innovative approaches to coordinate and engage partners from multiple cultures and across different countries for a collaborative contributions towards cleaner and more efficient energy development and infrastructure investment, identifying key entry points by leveraging resources of governments, academia, social society and private sector, and delivering high quality outcomes by strategic and systematic management of the project and the whole team.
Strategic leadership and management
- Define a comprehensive, well-structure project strategy to maximize WRI impact in Green BRI Initiative at the nexus of energy and finance.
- Plan, direct, coordinate, and lead project to ensure that goals, objectives and all elements are accomplished within the prescribed time frame and funding parameters In line with the above strategy.
- Promote close and effective collaboration with project oversight team, China Director, Global Finance Director and Global Energy Director and other relevant programs and centers at WRI as well as with other International Offices.
- Lead the management of the project, including project management, staff management, and financial and administrative matters.
- Review reports/publications, blogs, press releases, and other research and communications materials to ensure high quality, high impact publications in line with WRI’s requirements.
- Participate in the WRI China office management as its management team member and contribute to WRI China development in line with the WRI strategy.
- Provide oversight of all China-related climate and energy policy relevant research and analysis.
- Work on the project oversight team on the development and implementation of the fundraising strategy.
- Develop and maintain relationships with existing and prospective donors.
- Identify fundraising opportunities and prepare funding proposals for corporate donors, private foundations, government agencies, bilateral donors, and other funders.
Communications, outreach, and partnership
- Build coalitions and convene successful partnerships on Green BRI issues to advance WRI China’s agenda.
- Foster strong collaborative relationships with government representatives and media, including senior government officials in relevant government ministries and departments.
- Regularly communicate with external stakeholders to ensure our works will lead to on-the-ground change and to bring the outcomes to scale.
- Communicate and coordinate with different programs, centers, offices, and initiatives within WRI network to create synergies.
- Chair and/or represent WRI's point of view on BRI issues at seminars, conferences, media interviews, blogs, press conferences, and other ways.
- Write briefs, publish blogs, and conduct media interviews in order to set public and private sector agendas, influence decision-maker perspectives, and communicate findings and recommendations from WRI’s China BRI works.
- Well-established China climate, energy or green finance expert with known track record. In-depth understanding of China’s energy and/or green finance agenda both domestically and in relation to the international sustainable development regime, as well as bilateral/multilateral relationships.
- Strong governmental network with significant experience in working directly with relevant ministries and proven experience on stakeholder engagement, convening, and partnership management.
- Track record on raising large-scale, multi-year funds with broad connections with funders, both domestically and internationally.
- Superior management skills, including project management, staff supervision, and financial management. Demonstrated ability to successfully motivate and manage teams.
- Strong research skill with relevant experience on publishing high impact reports, familiar with peer review processes, and experience on multi-partner joint publications
- Familiar with the operation models of NGOs/research institutions.
- Advanced degree in environment, energy, finance or other related fields (a PhD is highly desirable), with at least 15 years of progressive professional work experience related to energy and/or green finance works in China.
- Willingness and ability to travel within China and internationally.
- Excellent communication skills and command of written and spoken Chinese (Mandarin) and English. Strong public speaker in both languages.
Position reports to: China Country Director
Salary and Benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience and skills
Duration: Full-time regular
Location: Beijing, China
Start Date: As soon as possible
Application deadline: 2020-3-31